1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Netscape Mail change to AIM Mail

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by SkeetF, 2006/08/26.

1. 2006/08/26
    SkeetF

SkeetF Inactive Thread Starter

:confused:
    I use Netscape to handle all my different e-mail accounts:

Netscape
    Hotmail
    Bellsouth
    G-Mail
    et al.

All of them work except Netscape's since the change to AIM mail. Are there some changes I need to make in any of the settings of my Netscape accounts?

I still have access to my Netscape e-mail accounts thru the Mail button on the Netscape Home Page.

SKEETF

2. 2006/08/26
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

I am assuming that you are using the Netscape Mail Client. Let's not confuse Netscape (or Webmail) mail, i.e. @netscape.net, with Netscape, the mail client part of Netscape. I don't know how you are getting Hotmail, if you get it in the Mail Client, but the fact remains that there is no more @netscape.net. Upposedly, all its mail will be available from username@netscape.net to username@aim.com. You will have to set up a new account in your mail client, which will be: username@aim.com
    IMAP server: imap.aim.com, port 143
    SMTP server:smtp.aim.com, port 587 (authenticated with your username)
    To send you will have to select the newly created smtp.
    All this information has been around for a while. And, you should have one e-mail at @aim.com telling, in detail, about the changeover, and all your @netscape.net mail should have been transferred to @aim.com.
    So, if you want to see it, set up your @aim.com account, and you can do it in any mail client (making the use of Netscape7.x useless), and at aim.com website.
    I had made the changeover long ago, so I was getting no legit mail @netscape.net. How do I know that the changeover worked? I got a new e-mail of 8-21, at my @aim.com account, but sent to my @netscape.net account, which a spam message. Thanks AOL!

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/08/26
    SkeetF

SkeetF Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks for the information.

I setup new accounts with my same old "username@netscape.net" addresses and just changed the Server Name under Server Settings to "imap.aim.com" and everything seems to work OK.

E-mails sent with my un@netscape.net adresses still show my old netscape
    addresses in the FROM: lines of the Headers.

And now, either e-mails from un@aim.com or un@netscape.net show up in my un@netscape.net mailboxes.

SKEETF:)

5. 2006/08/27
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

It was supposed to work that way. I don't know for how long you will get @netscape.net mail, so I suggest that you tell your correspondent of the change.
    You will be surprised how many people don't have a clue what was going to happen, although I received three e-mails telling of the changes.
    Now, there will be no reason to hang on Netscape7.x because aim.com accounts can be set up in any mail client.