1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Netscape Email

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by Pete111, 2007/02/02.

1. 2007/02/02
    Pete111

Pete111 Inactive Thread Starter

What is the latest Netscape version I can download and still retain my Netscape email? I currently have Netscape 4.8 and still use the email at times although I use Mozilla Firefox as my main browser and also Mozilla Thunderbird email.

I tried importing email from Netscape to Thunderbird but it did not go well.

2. 2007/02/02
    Cesar Maciel

Cesar Maciel Inactive

As far as I know, the last version of Netscape with the e-mail client was 7.2.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/02/02
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

PeteIII,

The AOL Netscape 8.1.2 is the most current Version, and can be downloaded here: http://browser.netscape.com/ns8/download/default.jsp
    Netscape 8.1.2 is a standalone browser, like Firefox, so no mail will be lost.

I do have to ask why would you use 4.8 Messenger for Mail when you have Thunderbird installed? Do you need help moving mail from 4.8 Messenger to Thunderbird?

5. 2007/02/03
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

Pete,

NS7.2 is the latest version with mail, but very obsolete, over two years old.
    I don't know what was wrong with the importing into Thunderbird, but, if something was missing, it should be importable manually. I don't see any reason why another Netscape would be any better in importing mail, if that is the major concern.

6. 2007/02/04
    Pete111

While I hesitate to admit it I probably could use help in transferring old emal from Netscape 4.8 to Mozilla Thunderbird. I really like T-Bird. I ran into problems with the T-Bird email addresses and ended up with about three different listings; I wanted them all under Personal Address Book.

Never did find a way, that I can recall, to transfer the old emails themselves. Thanks for the responses.

7. 2007/02/04
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

In first place the format of 4.8 is different from that of Netscape 6/7, Mozilla, Seamonkey, and Thunderbird. If you had three different address books in 4.8, they would be imported separately. You cannot tell the program to put them all in one place. So, that is my question. Did you have all the addresses in a single address book, in 4.8, or not. I don't understand that the complaint is about having triplicates of the same address book.
    As for importing the mail itself, it should work, as it did work from 4.x to 6.x. Since I went through the various stages, and have removed 4.8 from my computer some three years ago, I don't know what would happen if you attempt to import mail, automatically from 4.8 to Thunderbird.
    If your old mail failed to be imported from NS4.8 to TB, for whatever reason, then, set up your account in Thunderbird. Then exit TB as well as NS4.8, and go to Windows Explorer, and follow the directions from this article . The Inbox is called that name even in the older NS, but you want to rename the file, so that the present Inbox, in TB, is not overwritten. Don't pay attention to the files with extention, which is different in 4.8 (.snm) from TB (.msf). After you copy the renamed Inbox, and paste it into the account folder of TB, and reopen TB, you will see a separate folder with all the 4.8 mail. Just keep in mind that the 4.8 profiles are kept in Program Files|Netscape|Users, while the TB profiles are in a Profiles folder.
    The location will vary from Win98 to WinXP

8. 2007/02/04
    Pete111

I have only one address book in Netscape 4.8; however as I tried to import addresses from Netscape 4.8 into Mozilla T-Bird I ended up with two or three address books. I finally have corrected it rather laboriously and have all T-bird addresses in one file called Personal Address Book.

Now I will see about trasferring email itself from Netscape 4.8 to Mozilla T-bird. Thanks for the info.

9. 2007/02/05
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

It is funny that I don't want to have all my addresses in a single AB. It does not, really, matter since the Personal AB should hold all the addresses, unless you delete them, even if dragged and dropped in a new address book. But, why did you get more than one address book beats me. I like to back up my address books by exporting them as a .ldif file, which is easily imported in most mail clients. I don't know if 4.8 had that option (I know that NS6.x did not).