1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Netscape 6.2 Mail Folders

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by gmeyers, 2002/01/20.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/01/20
    gmeyers

gmeyers Guest Thread Starter

I moved from Netscape 4.7 to 6.0 to 6.1 and 6.2. Since I migrated to 6.1, my Account name and folder info doesn't appear in the leftmost panel. Yesterday I renamed my mail folder, renamed my prefs.js file, and recreated accounts one by one (5 accounts, one for each family member). Following hints from this bb, I copied back only the separate mail folders, not the .msf files. Everything looked fine. My mailbox said "Gary's Mail ", and the Inbox, Sent, Trash and Template names were there.

This morning when I restarded the computer and then Netscape, things are hosed again. When I click on the top-level icon (The one that should say "Gary's Mail "), the rightside pane displays the user account info - with "Netscape 6 - Gary's Mail ", blue bars for Email, Accounts and Advanced Features. Things look okay in this window.

But the leftmost panel still doesn't show Account or Folder names.

What's the deal? :confused:

2. 2002/01/20
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

Hi gmeyers,

You are not alone in your mail problem. I see this posted daily on the Netscape 6 NG. Try this fix and see if it works for you:

With Netscape closed:
    Go to:
    C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\username\xxxxxxxx.slt

Open the Mail folder
    Delete the Inbox.msf file
    It will be rebuilt when Netscape restarts

It is a case of corrupt summary files, like the .snm files in 4.x. You may have to repeat this process frequently. My advice is to forego Netscape 6 Mail, and use your 4.7x for Mail. You can leave both programs open and toggle between the two, using Alt+tab.

Post back and let us know if it worked!

Ramona

EDIT: . . . delete all .msf files and see if that brings everything back.

Last edited: 2002/01/20

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/01/20
    gmeyers

gmeyers Guest Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, Ramona.

Alas, no that didn't work. I had tried that earlier before posting to this bbs. :( Still doesn't work.

And I no longer have my 4.7 installation. So.....

5. 2002/01/21
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

gmeyers,

Sorry that didn't work! Creating a new Users profile would be the alternative I would offer, and you've already done that.

I think it will be a few releases down the line before mail is a stable feature. Netscape 6 is based on Mozilla0.9.4 code. As the newer Mozilla Releases are improved, thus Netscape 6 will be improved. Mozilla0.9.8 should be released soon, and hopefully the Mail will be one of the improvements. The rumor mill has it, that when Mozilla 1.0 is released, that it will be the code for a Netscape 6 that will knock our the socks off.

Ramona :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.