1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

NERO - full backup vs ??? and CD-RW size?

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by savagcl, 2005/09/20.

1. 2005/09/20
    savagcl Lifetime Subscription

savagcl Geek Member Thread Starter

Nero version 6.6.0.16, OEM

Trying to backup just some standard program files (Firefox, Mozilla, Winamp)
    and when selecting the type of backup the only option showing is "Full Backup ". Nero Smart and just Nero show the same "Full" option only.
    How do i get to the other options? Is it a requirement that a full backup be
    performed first (before other backup type are available)?

Also, i have a lot of the mini-CD-RW disk available. They're great for small
    backups and transporting small data files. So far, i havent been able to get
    Nero to write one tho, keeps saying not enough space. Anyone had any
    success with using these small CDRW's?

One more if i can squeeze it in - How do you tell Nero what format to use?

Obviously, i'm new at Nero and so far havent been able to locate a Nero
    Users forum.

thanks,
    savagcl

2. 2005/09/20

Found a unofficial forum.

thanks,
    savagcl

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/09/20
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hi Clif, share it?

I don't use Nero, but lot's of people do.

Regards - Charles

5. 2005/09/20

6. 2005/09/20
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Ok, thanks clif.

Not sure of the quality of help
    Yeah I hear you, one skill that anyone has to develop is separating the gold from the dross.

Regards - Charles

7. 2005/09/24
    irdreed

irdreed Inactive

savagcl,
    I've been using these Pocket CD's (CD-R's and CD-RW's) for a number of years with Nero Software versions 5.0 up thru current versions with no problems. With respect to the CD-RW I always Prep them by the Erase feature then a Format before using them for their intended Drag-n-Drop use.

HTH

8. 2005/09/24

irdreed,
    Thanks for the feedback.

I was under the impression that the only reason a CD (any cd) would need to
    be formatted was if its intended use was like a large floppy disk, hence, the
    drag/drop, copy/paste. Is it necessary to format if you want to use a CD,
    dvd+RW, etc as an image of your system.......
    Will have to checkan see what formats are available.

No hits on the "full backup" option only??

thanks again,
    clif

9. 2005/09/24

Ok, that does it. I'm dumping nero.
    Guess it was crippled because it came with the system.
    To many problems to list.

I'll dump it and go back toEZ CD Creator (at least i have the cd and the updates
    for it.

Thanks for the help anyway.
    clif

10. 2005/09/24

:)

Spoke to soon.
    I got rid of Nero (clean tool) and installed ez cd. It wouldnt run at all (i think
    nero has put some kind of a block on ezcd).

Anyway, the ezcd upgrade is 99 bucks and i cant do that right now. At least,
    i found out that Acronis True Image 9.0 works since i re-installed the C drive.

So, back to nero.
    I just burned a DVD-RW (no verify) and it burned ok but after the burn ok
    msg,the program became "not responding ". Cntl-Alt-del wouldnt end the
    program either had to reboot. No error msgs, just hung. And it was writing
    at 1x. Havent had any luck with the speed test either.

Suggestions?
    clif

11. 2005/09/24
    irdreed

irdreed Inactive

savagcl,
    To be on the safe side I always do an Erase of any CD-RW and same for DVD-RW. I will Format them IF I want to use drag and drop like a Floppy. A properly Erased CD-RW will act like a CD-R, same for DVD's.

Also are you aware of Nero's Clean Tools? I have used these and had no problem. (BTW I currently have installed on my Win XP and have no problem using either Nero v6.0 and Roxio's Easy media Creator v7.0.)

http://www.nero.com/en/Clean_Tools.html

I haven't Imaged yet using a DVD, but have used DVD-R and DVD+RW as backups.

Last edited: 2005/09/24
  12. 2005/09/24

irdreed,

Yes, i pulled the clean tools and selected "Clean All ". Seems to have worked
    since the reg entry "Ahead" was gone along with any folders.
    Then I installed Easy CD Creator 5.0 Platinum but couldnt get it to run
    without an error code appearing instantly.

So i did a restore of partition C and got Ahead back.

I'm thinking that ez cd is so old it wont "see" a dvd combo drive, hence, the
    error. Guess i'll just have to figure out why nero hangs after completing a burn.
    And why i just have the "full backup" option.........

Thanks for the help,
    clif

13. 2005/09/25
    irdreed

irdreed Inactive

14. 2005/09/25

irdreed,

I only saw a reference to it in the common files and they were tied to
    specific applications (creative, Ahead), nothing in windows or system32.

So i installed it. Will do another burn and see what happens.
    Still might have to scrounge some bucks and buy the real version and get rid
    of the OEM version.

will let you know,
    thanks,
    clif

15. 2005/09/25

The burns went ok this time (CD-RW and DVD-RW), finished normally.

I ran aheads info tool and it shows a write speed of 40x. Problem is it
    writes a DVD-RW at 1x. My drive is capable of 16x.
    A CD-RW (1-4x) is written at 1x.
    A high-speed CD-RW (48x) is written at 10x.

Is it necessary for the user to set (change) the speed somewhere or is it
    auto-detected?
    I can't find anything in the help about speed settings.
    Ideas?

clif

16. 2005/09/25
    Eck

Eck Inactive

Easy Cd Creator 5 has updates from Roxio that are necessary to get it working on Windows XP.

In most cases those updates worked fine up until the release of Windows XP Service Pack 2.

I don't recall ANY user getting Easy Cd Creator 5 to run properly on Service Pack 2. As a former user until converting to Nero, I check back on the Roxio forums every so often. Last I checked everyone was saying it was time to retire the 5.0 version since they couldn't figure out how to get it working and Roxio wasn't releasing any further updates for it.

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/

The above forum has a Nero section that is often frequented by Craig Campbell, an official Nero representative.

Although I'm not sure how to advise you, posting to that forum will get you an answer from some serious Nero experts.

Edit - I do have experience with the different ASPI layer versions. The newer Nero versions seem to create serious havoc when installed on a system with the latest Adaptec ASPI layer installed.

Now, XP itself does not need or come with an ASPI layer and Nero comes with its own for use when Nero itself needs it. However, the older Adaptec ASPI has caused me no problems and works as well as it ever did for the few programs I use that still make use of it. I use the latest Nero and have not experienced any bad behavior.

It is the Adaptec 4.60 version installed by a program called ForceASPI 1.7. I don't remember where I got it long ago, but I'm sure you can search for it and find it.

The latest Adaptec 4.71a2, installed on the same system with Nero, broke digital cd music playback, DVD playback, and set my XP SP2 drives to PIO Mode! Using ForceASPI 1.7 to "KillASPI" and then installing the older 4.60 version fixed my system.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: 2005/09/25
    Eck,
  17. 2005/09/25

Eck,

Now thats interesting!

I just installed the ASPI. After reading your post i ran the nero info tool.
    and it said that System ASPi was not installed......

If nero isn't seeing it, i wonder if i need it?

clif

18. 2005/09/25
    Eck

Eck Inactive

You don't need the Adaptec system ASPI layer installed on Windows XP, with the exception being if you use certain software which makes use of it. Certainly Nero doesn't need or use it.

If you followed Adaptec's instructions to install the latest 4.71a2, any program tool like Nero's InfoTool or even Adaptec's own tool (included in the Adaptec package) will report missing files (the Adaptec tool) or a damaged ASPI layer (like Nero's InfoTool).

This is because the official way only installs 2 of the 4 traditionallly installed files of ASPI. According to Adaptec the ones not installed are not needed in XP.

This is true as when I was using the latest ASPI my programs that used it had no problems. However, as stated, the later Nero versions and that latest Adaptec 4.71a2 didn't get along so I now use the older 4.60 installed by ForceASPI 1.7.

There is also a ForceASPI 1.8 that installs the latest 4.71a2, but includes all 4 files. This made programs like Nero's InfoTool recognize the ASPI layer as fully installed and functional. ForceASPI 1.8 also sets the file dates of all 4 files to the same date, which just makes stuff like InfoTool think everything is correct.

If you installed ForceASPI 1.7, Nero InfoTool should see your ASPI as fully installed and functional. If not, then it's possible XP interferred with copying one of the files. In that case you might get it in if you run ForceASPI in Safe Mode. There have been times when I have been forced to boot to the XP Recovery Console (or, while I was using 98SE or ME, to Ms-Dos Mode) and copy the file over myself. I think it was WNASPI32.DLL that Windows was protecting. If you never had ASPI installed before you shouldn't have had this problem (nothing to protect).

But, to answer you, Nero doesn't need or use it. If you're using Windows XP, you can run KILLASPI.BAT from the extracted ForceASPI folder and set things back to normal (with no ASPI layer).

Eck,
  19. 2005/09/25

I didnt need the aspi before and i guess i dont need it now but i didnt use the
    forceASPI to do the install.

I dont see anything that will un-install it however. No biggie, everything seems
    to work.

thanks for the input,
    clif

20. 2005/09/26

Ah, Ha! so maybe its SP2 thats killing EzCD 5 and not nero. Somehow i got
    the strong impression that nero was stopping EzCD from running, silly me.
    I didnt know that about SP2, thanks for the tip.

clif

21. 2005/09/26
    Eck

Eck Inactive

Uninstalling it can be done by ForceASPI, like I said. You just run KILLASPI.BAT and reboot. That doesn't always work, as sometimes Windows is using one of the files and protects it. It's really just 4 files though and it's easy enough to go into the Recovery Console and delete them with the DEL command.

If everything is working you don't need to bother uninstalling it.

Apparently you installed the latest 4.71a2. That one did cause 3 of my computers on 3 different cd/dvd drives to go bonkers as I said earlier. And it only happened after the latest Nero versions on XP SP2.

And yes, it is XP SP2 that Easy Cd Creator 5 versions are not compatible with. Even with the last Roxio updates available. Nothing to do with Nero.

You're lucky if everything is running properly after uninstalling Easy Cd Creator 5! That procedure has been known to cause cd drives to disappear. The fix was to delete the registry entries for the upper filters and lower filters that it installs. Microsoft has a KB article, and the Roxio forums have info on how to do it.

I hope all goes well.

Eck,