1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Need memory for Asus Mobo

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by StrahdOmega, 2018/07/16.

1. 2018/07/16
    StrahdOmega

StrahdOmega Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I am putting together a pc and I am having trouble finding compatible RAM for the Asus M5a97 R2.0 I bought Gskill DDR3 1866 2x8gb, but when I boot I get nothing on the monitor. This case has no POST speaker so I tried getting help online. The Asus chat tech says this RAM is not compatible and gave me a list that was. Now the problem is that the list doesn't seem to have any 2x8gb that I can find to buy. Is there anyway to tell what is compatible but not on the list?

thanks guys

2. 2018/07/16
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/07/16
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi StrahdOmega, See my Profile. I have the same Asus M/B and I have G.Skill Ripjaws XF3-12800CL9D-GBXL 2x4GB RAM operating perfectly.
    Have you referred to the Asus User Guide supplied with the M/B? Chapter1 Page10 gives the compatible RAM specs.
    Is your CPU up to specs?

5. 2018/07/17
    StrahdOmega

I have been to Crucial and also looked through the mobo manual but I was hoping to get 2x8gb Ram and I can't find any that are on this list and I can find to buy. The board max is 32gb and I wanted 2x8 so that when I get more money I could just add the other 2x8 instead of removing 4's and replacing all of it. The memory I bought is Gskill ripjaw ddr3 1866 and my cpu is Amd fx8350. Would it be easier or cheaper even to just get a different mobo ?
    thank you

Is 16gb enough? If I were to get 4x4gb. I am putting a geforce gtx 1060 in the build.

Last edited: 2018/07/17
  6. 2018/07/17
    retiredlearner

Any help on page 17 of the User Manual? (MemOK! switch and how to use)
    Are your RAM sticks paired? or did you get them loose?
    Have you installed them in the Blue DIMM slots as suggested?
    Have you tried 1 RAM stick on it's own to see if the comp will boot?
    Is everything set to Default in BIOS?
    Is Fast Boot enabled?

7. 2018/07/17
    StrahdOmega

I will try to use MemOK. Not sure why the Asus tech did not ask me to try that. The Ram came as a set, I haven't tried 1 at a time though. I installed them in the blue slots. I don't know about the bios settings or fast boot because the board is new and did not display yet. I will let you guys know what happens with the memok and 1 stick at a time trials. thank you

8. 2018/07/17
    retiredlearner

found this at GSkill.
    Q:

I just installed G.SKILL memory into my system. Why doesn’t it boot?

A:
    1) Make sure that your motherboard supports the memory capacity and frequency.
    2) Clear the BIOS settings by using the “ClearCMOS” jumper/button on the motherboard. Or you may disconnect the power cord and remove the round lithium battery from the motherboard, wait 60 seconds, then put the battery back on the motherboard and reconnect the power cord.
    3) Update the motherboard BIOS to the latest version.
    4) Check the memory modules with a memory testing software, such as Memtest86+ or Windows Memory Diagnostic.
    https://www.gskill.com/en/faq/DRAM_Memory

9. 2018/07/23
    StrahdOmega

Hey guys,
    Thanks again for your suggestions. I tried the MemOK and 1 stick at a time in different slots but no luck. I updated the BIOS with the usb Flashback feature and still no go. I found some RAM on newegg that is on the QVL list and I am going to buy that. It is 4x4gb so I will only get 16gb on this board but at least I know it will work. Take care

10. 2018/07/23
    retiredlearner

Let's know how the comp goes with the new RAM;)

11. 2018/07/24
    StrahdOmega

Well I got the new ram and a speaker for post beeps. Still no boot and also no beeps. Asus did some troubleshooting but it looks like it needs to be RMA'd. They say it will be about 7-10 business days turn around. Thank you again guys and I will let you know what happens.

12. 2018/08/09
    StrahdOmega

I got the motherboard back and the paperwork said it tested OK and they couldn't reproduce the issue. When I was putting the CPU back, it didn't sit right so I looked at it carefully and saw a bent pin. I figure it's possible it was like that before and that was the whole problem so I got a new processor and just for laughs I installed the RAM I had originally. It started up fine. I even checked the Gskill site and this RAM is not listed compatible with this motherboard but I have had no issues after OS install and all driver and windows updates. I really appreciate your help and I'm sorry it turned out to be human error.

Take care guys

13. 2018/08/09
    retiredlearner

Thanks for the follow up. Nice to see it all runs OK. ;)