1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Need help retrieving old email from Windows Live Mail

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by musicteacher, 2017/12/21.

1. 2017/12/21
    musicteacher

musicteacher Well-Known Member Thread Starter

A few days ago, my 6 year old HP Slimline wouldn't communicate with my monitor. I took it to a reputable local repair place and it was diagnosed as the motherboard. The owner took out the hard drive and the DVD writer and put them into a newer rebuilt computer, which I have home now.

I am able to access all of my pictures, documents, etc from the hard drive but I'm trying to find a way to get my email back. I had about 10,000 emails on there. I was using Windows Live.

This tech said that we should be using some kind of web-based email system and put a shortcut on the desktop and showed my husband what to do. I also have an ipad that I can access my email on, but what I really want is all my old email back. We recently bought a house and all of my communication with the realtor, banker, etc. . . is there.

Since the old hard drive is in this new computer, is there way for me to be able to see the old emails? Both machines were/are running Windows 10.

Thank you!

2. 2017/12/21
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Windows Live Mail? Was it configured like a POP account, or something like an IMAP account? An IMAP account stores emails on a web server and the computer. Not so with a POP account unless you configure the program to leave mail copies on the server.

You might could try doing a search for .eml file extensions with Windows search. This may help too...

Where are the Windows LIve Mail files saved?

EDIT: Try this link too..

How to Locate Windows Live Mail Store Folder?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/12/21
    musicteacher

musicteacher Well-Known Member Thread Starter

If this helps, My email would be on a great big server in the sky, and after I would get my email on my computer using Windows Live mail, the emails would be gone from the server. When I would travel and stay in a hotel, I could go to their website and read my email on their website, but after I got home and got email on my computer, they would then be gone from their website.

I had my mail all organized in nicely named folders for bills, shopping, grad classes, etc and now I’ve lost it all. But it seems like if it came in onto my hard drive, they must still be there somewhere?.

5. 2017/12/22
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Did the above links help you find your mail cache? Was the .eml search successful?