1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved NCT5538D is not on the support list, but SpeedFan can still control the fan speed.

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Matthew Wai, 2016/09/28.

1. 2016/09/28
    Matthew Wai

Matthew Wai Well-Known Member Thread Starter

2. 2016/09/28
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Just because the SpeedFan documentation does not specify it provides support for a specific device, that does not mean it does not support it. It is important to note that PC motherboards must comply with many industry standards. This is great because it allow us consumers to use a Gigabyte motherboard with an ASUS graphics card, and a WD hard drive plus a Seagate hard drive, and a Samsung SSD plus a Crucial SSD, Corsair RAM, with an Intel CPU and power them all from a EVGA power supply. Then put them all in a Fractal Design case with a Thermaltake CPU cooler, and 3 case fans made by 3 different makers and expect them all to work in perfect harmony!

It is my experience that separate support for a specific device only needs to added to SpeedFan IF it has some unique or proprietary feature that requires special coding. If the device uses all standard or addressed protocols already, there is no need to simply add its name to the support list.

You might just send a note to Alfredo over at SpeedFan letting him know SpeedFan works great with that device.

Bill,
    Matthew Wai likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/09/29
    Matthew Wai

[​IMG]
    Why does SpeedFan show my NCT5538D as NCT6791D, which is on the support list? Is it because they are similar in features?

Last edited: 2016/09/29
  5. 2016/09/29
    Bill

Not sure why you would think the answer to that would be found here instead of inquiring at SpeedFan. You could be right and the features are similar. Or maybe it is like washing machines and TVs, the same machine gets a different model number depending on if sold at Best Buy or Frys. In this case, it may just depend on the motherboard brand it is with.

Bill,
    Matthew Wai likes this.
  6. 2016/09/29
    Matthew Wai

Alfredo is probably busy tackling substantive problems. I don't think he would spend time answering my questions, which are just out of curiosity.

7. 2016/09/29
    Bill

Probably busy? He invites users to contact him directly, "...if you you've got any question or suggestion or discover any strange behavior. "

Nothing wrong with being curious. I am just saying I don't the answers to your questions and nobody else has joined this thread to answer your questions eithers. But you might have had your answers by now if you had only asked the horse's mouth.

Bill,
    Matthew Wai likes this.
  8. 2016/09/29
    Matthew Wai

9. 2016/09/29
    Bill

:(
    1. What do you expect me or anyone else on this site to do about it?
    2. Yes it was answered - If you look at the notes, it clearly says it was fixed in SpeedFan 4.5.2.
    3. Is a bug report contacting him directly via his email address as requested? No. As suggested by me? No.​

Since I have repeatedly said I don't know the answers, and since you apparently don't want to contact Alfredo directly as Alfredo requested, I have nothing more to offer here.

Bill,
  10. 2016/09/29
    Matthew Wai

Nothing, because it was already fixed in SpeedFan 4.5.2.
    The 'answer' in the notes was actually written by Matthew Wai, me, not by Alfredo, who had never answered me there. I just mean to say there were questions which Alfredo had no time to answer.
    I thought it was better to report a bug on the site than to do so via email because the site, entitled 'BUG TRACKER', was specifically for reporting bugs.
    I consider your post #2 and #4 the answers to my questions, so I am marking this thread as solved.
    Thanks for your answers!