1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved My HDD is not a USB Thumb Drive

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by arthur277, 2018/09/12.

1. 2018/09/12
    arthur277

arthur277 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

In order to save installing Windows 10 I cloned a copy from an SSD. Now I cannot update this copy of Windows 10 Pro because I keep getting a message to say that Windows 10 cannot be installed on a Thumb (Flash) drive. This is not unique to this drive as a number of SSDs that I have tried to use are either not recognised as SSDs or some programs treat them like HDDs and try to defrag them. How can I convince this Windows 10 that this HDD really is an HDD? Or will I have to reinstall Windows 10?

The installed version is Windows 10 Pro 32bit V.1511 OS build 10586.1176.

2. 2018/09/12
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Did you actually clone to a SSD?
    I've cloned from a 250GB SSD to a 500GB SSD without any problems.
    I used AOMEI to do the job.
    You are way behind in W10 version - W10 Pro 64bit Version 1803 OS Build 17134.254 is what I have installed.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/09/13
    arthur277

Thanks for the reply, retiredlearner. I cloned FROM an SSD to a 160GB HDD. So the problem appears to be that in cloning I transferred the drive type coding from the SSD to the HDD and so Windows 10 thinks that the OS is now on an SSD/Thumb Drive. In fact it is running the present version very well (except for the usual trouble with EDGE NOT WORKING! UGH!). But in addition I have also found that Windows 10 mis-identifies some makes of SSD as thumb drives, and obviously this HDD as a thumb drive.

So although Windows 10 tries to download and install the 1803 version of Windows 10 PRO, it is faced with the SSD/Thumb drive problem and the update fails.

In the old days of DOS it was possible to access the sectors on a drive and of course Unix identifies drives differently from MS, but how does one access thes drive typing markers? If it can't be done I shall just have to bite the bullet and reinstall on another drive and wipe this one in the hope that it somehow corrects it type markings.

Incidentally I have tried unsuccessfully to fix Edge using the Powershell method, but it does not work. Error messages saying that certain paths cannot be found etc. Why is Edge such a difficult browser to get working? When it does work its pretty average anyway.

5. 2018/09/13
    savagcl Lifetime Subscription

savagcl Geek Member

I have used a Macrium Reflect backup (full) from a HHD to a SSD and then physically replaced the HHD with the SSD and it works fine including any new updates...
    savagcl

6. 2018/09/13
    arthur277

It was quite a while ago that I did the transfer so I do not remember what software I used to clone the drive. So you were fortunate in your choice, savagcl ! I am continuing to try and get a back up done before I wipe the disc. I have used Macrium so perhaps I will use it again. Thanks for the tip.

7. 2018/09/13
    arthur277

I have now reinstalled Windows 10 and the OS seems happy to be updated so Problem Solved. Even Edge is working!

8. 2018/09/13
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Thanks for your reply.;) Good to know you are all OK again.