1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Msimn has caused an error...

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by Jeffrey, 2002/01/09.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/01/09
    Jeffrey

Jeffrey Inactive Thread Starter

Greetings all and really glad the board is back up. Here is the error code I am receiving on Outlook Express:

Msimn has caused an error in KERNEL 32.DLL. Msimn will now close.

This error only shows up when I am switching users and it is somewhat inconsistent in when it appears (sometimes I can switch users 10 times before it appears, sometimes only once)

Any ideas on cause and solution?

:confused:

2. 2002/01/09
    davey7549

davey7549 Inactive

Jeffrey
    Welcome to BBS!
    There could be many causes. If MSIMN receives any error while its running it closes. See second article at very bottom for statement from MS. There is one major cuplrit that causes this error and the is McAfee e-mail protect program. If you do not use
    McAfee then ignore article one but you could try shutting down your e-mail protect protion in your AV program to see if that is causing it. Lastly article three suggests some third party ad blocking software also causes error upon close. Remember when you switch identities you are in effect closing OE.

Article 1
    McAfee Related
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q276459

Article 2
    General idea at bottom of article
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q225096

Article 3
    Possible cause if third party blocing software is used.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q225254

Hope the above helps find your problem.
    Keep us posted.
    Dave

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/01/09
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

5. 2002/01/10
    Ax Slinger

Ax Slinger Inactive

Hmmm... OE does something similiar on my computer, except that it only does it when I close it. When I open it, and while it's running it works fine. What is really annoying is that when it does this, you click "Ok" on the error message dialog box it won't close. I can close all other programs before I reboot, which I have to do to clear the dialog box, but that message stays on top of everything. Then of course, it has to run scandisk to check the hard drive, which in my case is two 20gb drives, so it takes forever to do that.

But it never seems to hurt anything, as it always works. It is inconsistent in when it appears on mine too, seemingly only happening when I don't want it to, and never when I want to show someone what it does. The other day I opened OE and closed it 6 or 8 times trying to show the error message to a friend of mine, and the **** thing wouldn't crash for anything. But as soon as he left, it did it. And I just tried it again, to see which error message it was so I could check the appropriate link posted here, and again, no crash. Sometimes, I think this machine has a little gremlin in it that is laughing hysterically at me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.