1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved MSCONFIG won't run

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by riley77, 2010/03/08.

1. 2010/03/08
    riley77

riley77 Inactive Thread Starter

I have just recently tried executing MSCONFIG via Start>run>msconfig, but found that it would NOT run. Can anyone help? (The details below are a bit long, but included so knowing what has been tried (and failed) thusfar may save some time.

A GOOGLE search (with this thread title) led to some suggested causes (infections, missing msconfig.exe file and incorrect or missing path designation in the registry). I've also searched around this website and tried a few things, but still to no avail. Here's what has been done to-date:

1. Infections - I have had no issues with my PC (details in profile), which undergoes regular maintenance provided by automatic updates from Microsoft and continual virus, spyware & malware checks using AVG9.0 scans daily and AdvancedSystem Care PRO scans at least weekly. Nevertheless I did a separate scan with each and found nothing to help solve my issue. So unless these two tools are inadequate, I'm not suspecting an infection.

2. msconfig.exe file - I checked that a file with this name appeared in its expected location (C:\Windows\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries) and that it had the same date as one also found in C:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386, which came with the XP SP3 update.

3. Registry path - I used REGEDIT to check if the proper path for msconfig existed in the registry. At the registry location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
    SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\MSCONFIG.EXE,
    it had the proper entries, Name: (default), Type: REG_SZ, and Data:
    C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSCONFIG.EXE

4. New Step 1: After steps 1-3, there was still no explanation for how to solve this issue. Further searching revealed a tool (Process Explorer v 11.33) for viewing information in a separate window about all open directories and files including handles and DLLs. It's available at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

With this program running I could observe entries for programs like REGEDIT and TASKMGR that can be initiated (like MSCONFIG should be) via Start>run. After re-booting the PC, I did notice a line appear momentarily for MSCONFIG in the ProcessExplorer window after trying to initiate it via Start>run. At first, the line of text for MSCONFIG was hightlighted in green, then it switched to red, and then the line of text disappeared. So it seemed to be trying to start, but then something stopped it.

5. New Step 2: A further search led to www.dougknox.com (a Microsoft MVP site) that offers among other things to "create an emergency copy of critical XP system utilities: regedit, msconfig and taskmgr ". It's supposed to set up a separate folder, C:\Emergencyutils, that contains separate executable copies of regedit, msconfig and taskmgr. I tried the utility, but did not see the folder appear, only that the utility tries to start all three together. Both regedit and taskmgr started OK, but msconfig did NOT start.

6. New Step 3: Finally a search on this website led me to advice given by NOAHDFEAR to DOWNSYSTEM on 7-8 Dec 2008 about a DOS Prompt to: 1) delete the current registry entry for msconfig, 2) replace it with a new (same data) entry, and 3) report a copy (in a notepad file) of the resultant registry entry. Since it apparently ended up solving DOWNSYSTEM's problem with msconfig not working, I tried the same thing. Unfortunately it was not successful.

Just in case my original msconfig.exe file might have been infected (despite the regular scans being made) I replaced it with a file copied from a second computer running with Windows XP SP3 installed and where msconfig works. That was also not successful.

Your comments and advice will be appreciated.

2. 2010/03/08
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

No other comments than to suggest you let the experts have a check to rule out Malware:

Read this post, then post the requested log(s) in the Malware and Virus Removal forum.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/03/09
    riley77

Reply to ADMIN re: MSCONFIG won't run

The D.D.S software was downloaded and executed. The requested output files (dds.txt and attach.txt) were included with a new post to the Nalware and Virus Removal Forum for review.

5. 2010/03/10
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Have you tried inputting something else into Run like cmd?

6. 2010/03/10
    riley77

Reply to Mattman (re:MSCONFIG won't run)

Yes I have used run successfully to execute other things (e.g. regedit, taskmgr, cmd). See Item No, 5 in my original post.

7. 2010/03/10
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

What happens if you rename msconfig.exe to config.exe? Or test.exe?

Arie,
  8. 2010/03/10
    riley77

Reply to Arie:

Yes, I tried that too. but didn't mention it earlier. The suggestion appeared on some web site to use a DOS copy coomand for copying msconfig.exe to C:\test.exe and then run test.exe from the CMD window. But nothing opens. The most that I have ever been able to observe is the momentary appearance of the msconfig.exe line in the screen with ProcessExplorer running (as stated in the 2nd paragraph of Item No. 4 of my original post). It starts to run, but stops for some tbd reasom; maybe it's due to some yet to be identified malware.

9. 2010/03/11
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

I see you have a thread in the Malware Removal forum, lets wait & see what the outcome is there.

I can only think Malware at this point. If not, I would 'nuke 'n pave' the system (format & reinstall).

Arie,
  10. 2010/03/11
    riley77

Reply to Arie (re: MSCONFIG won't work)

It looks to me like the problem was some insidious malware and after following the procedures given by Broni on the Malware and Virus Removal forum, msconfig is now working again. I'm just waiting to hear back that based on the returned files my machine is considered "clean ".