1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved MS Word 2007 Applying paragraph style creates large spaces

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Moorty, 2016/09/03.

1. 2016/09/03
    Moorty Lifetime Subscription

Moorty Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I am trying to format a document applying styles in Word 2007. I could get the paragraphs to have no line space between them and .3 indent on first lines of paragraphs. But I ran into the the following two problems after formatting (of course, I still keep a copy of the original text):

1) On many pages there are large blank white spaces not created by page breaks. When I press 'delete' at the end of the paragraph, that pulls the next paragraph and links it to this paragraph. Of course, when press 'enter' at that point, the paragraphs are separated, but then the blank space reappears.

2) There is a large number of words in the original document which are foreign and marked with diacrtical marks and italicized. When I paragraph formatted the text, the formatting retained the diacritical marks but removed all italicization.

I would appreciate if someone could suggest a solution to these problems.

2. 2016/09/03
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/09/03

No, not much help there. Thank you. I tried in paragraph formatting checking "keep with next" under the "line and page breaks tab ", as was suggested by someone on line. That worked in a few cases, but didn't work in most others.
    I can't tell you why..

5. 2016/09/04

I have solved both the problems: 1) Using the 'normal' style and modifying the paragraphs within it, and within the paragraph style, under the "Line and Page Breaks" tab, unchecking both "Keep with next" and "Keep lines together" boxes;
    and 2) using the same 'normal' style and modifying the line spacing, font size or whatever and updating each paragraph; and this retained the italics of fonts, because I didn't change the fonts (which is what caused the problem before, I think.)

6. 2016/09/04
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Thanks for your reply and nice to see you've overcome your problem. ;)