1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

MS reduces price of Win 8.1 to $15 for some

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by BOBBO, 2014/02/23.

1. 2014/02/23
    BOBBO

BOBBO Geek Member Thread Starter

Last edited: 2014/02/23
  2. 2014/02/23
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Bad link.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/02/23
    BOBBO

BOBBO Geek Member Thread Starter

5. 2014/02/23
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Interesting article, however many people will not be upgrading to Windows 8.1 even at the cheaper price since Windows 7 for most users is more than sufficient. Plus the performance improvements that Windows 8.1 has over Windows 7 are negligible at best.

6. 2014/02/23
    MrBill

Yes it does.

7. 2014/02/23
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Windows 8 / 8.1 reminds of New Coke. It sounded promising at first until the public rejected it.

I only hope that Microsoft learns from their mistake.

8. 2014/02/23
    MrBill

I love Win 8 and also the update 8.1. Not a thing wrong with it. What is so bad about it?

9. 2014/02/23
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Tell that to John Q Public. Most of them hate it.

10. 2014/02/23
    MrBill

Got a couple of friends that had XP. First PC that they had. Then they bought new PC's with Win 8 and didn't complain other than no start menu. I put on one of them and the other said that they would just get used to it. Saw them a couple of weeks ago and asked them about it and they said that they had no complaints.

That story you age giving is like supposedly all the people that hated Vista. Nothing wrong with it as it did it's job. One or 2 people moan and groan and the rest of the world believe them.

Remind me of the Chicken Little story with the sky falling. :D

11. 2014/02/23
    SVEN

SVEN Well-Known Member

Mind if I bud in?
    In May of last year I bought a win 7 desktop and a win 7 laptop because I could not deal with the win 8 tiles and no Start button. I guess I don’t like change. 2 month later I bought 3 laptops for my kids and wife and they on the other hand liked win 8 and got used to it real fast.
    BTW, we all came of winXP.
    Then my wife got offered Win 8.1 and installed it and all hell broke loose.
    None of the tiles where working. I had to uninstall and then reinstall all of them. That should not happen in an update. Next, Windows live Mail did not work. I had to do a repair install on it to get it back.
    The worst problem was that 8.1 did not like the USB driver installed by Belkin. My wife could not get on line and could not print anything since my printer it attached to the router.
    After several weeks Belkin finally found a driver that would work and she is back on line and can print, but to this day, the network she is on, still says unknown. So I told my boys not to upgrade to 8.1, because I don’t have the time to spend to fix what 8.1 is destroying.
    Just my 2 cents
    Sven

12. 2014/02/23
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

The first time I tried dealing with Windows 8, I couldn't believe what Microsoft had done. Trying to view and manage photos was a nightmare. It took Classic Shell to bring some sense of normalcy to it, but I still had to do some customizing to make things even half-way functional.

I am an experienced user, and I can't imagine what the aggravation level of the average user would be. MS shot a hole in their foot with Windows 8 according to sales reports.

Last edited: 2014/02/23
  13. 2014/02/23
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Been through Windows98/SE/ME/XP/Vista/7/8/8.1. Each one has been different.
    I have also had to use cell phones. Keyboard only - then Text screen - now Smartphones with Touch screens.
    I personally enjoy new Technologies although I may not utilize their capabilities to the fullest. (my excuse is I'm 77)
    I try and learn my way round the systems and live with the idea that we must keep up with Technology changes - or get left behind.
    I thoroughly believe (and Tutored the same belief) that you MUST READ the MANUAL before jumping in and pushing buttons just to see what might happen.
    I honestly believe that a lot of problems that get Posted here on this Forum would not have occurred if the users had researched beforehand. Taken a little time - asked questions no matter how silly they might seem.
    My Update to W8.1 on my HP Notebook was as smooth as the babies ------.
    My Update on this comp to 8.1 had a glitch which I think was Classic Shell which I had installed on W8.
    No big deal - I purchased Start8 and so far no problems. I find this is the answer to not entirely liking the Metro/Tiling, but the OS seems to be working OK for me.
    I agree SVEN, there will be a need to update some Drivers for the new OS - there always has been. (like Printers that come with an install CD but don't mention W8/8.1).
    Just my 2cents worth. Neil.

14. 2014/02/24
    masterroming

masterroming Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly... :)

15. 2014/03/01
    normsuss

normsuss Inactive

I also love Windows 8.1

I agree.....the problem was all of the bad press when Windows 8.0 arrived on the scene. As a result, many people started out with a bad impression of the new O.S. They seemed reluctant to learn the new Start Screen (which most call Metro...me included). I found it very easy to navigate. The apps are presented much more user-friendly than on previous Microsoft O.S.'s As an example: The News App reads like a newspaper, in similar print and layout. The Weather App is also very informative and easy to read. Windows 8.1 improved further on version 8.0. Recently, I installed 'Classic Start Menu', which brings back the Start Menu that Microsoft eliminated beginning with Windows 8.0 (it's a third party app). It is convenient when working from the Desktop (Windows 8.0 and 8.1 include the familiar Desktop...like in Windows 7 and XP).

16. 2014/03/01
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Maybe the press swayed some, but for most, including me, they had no idea what to expect until they actually tried it.

Now, me personally, I could adapt to the operating system over time because I know how to tweak a few settings (or at least I know where to find tweaking help) that the average PC user may not be away of, but aesthetically speaking, Windows 8 is a failure and Microsoft knows it. The disappointing sales number back this up.