1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved MS Fax and Scan Replacement

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gw1500se, 2014/12/15.

1. 2014/12/15
    gw1500se

gw1500se Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Since MS Fax and Scan hasn't worked in months and no one seems to be able to help me fix it, can someone recommend a free replacement? I don't want to send faxes over the internet and for as often as I need to fax it is not worth buying a replacement. I did find something called MightFax from Softonic but it contains malware. TIA.

If someone thinks they can figure out what is wrong with my MS Fax and Scan that would be OK with me but so far I have not been able to find any errors other than an error that gives "unknown" as the reason.

2. 2014/12/17
    pweegar

pweegar Well-Known Member

I assume you have a multi-function device (i.e. printer/scanner/copier/fax all in 1 device)? have you tried the software that comes with it? Also, you might want to go to the manufacturer's website and download the latest version of their software, if any, for your device.

IF you want/need to use the MS Fax/scan software, try this:
    1) Go to the control panel.
    2) In Control Panel under Programs and Features click the link that says Turn Windows
    Features On or Off.
    3) Look for 'Print and Document Services'
    4) Then locate 'Windows fax and scan'
    5) Uncheck it.
    6) Close the Control Panel.
    7) Close all programs.
    8) Shut your pc down.
    9) Restart your pc.
    10) Once it's booted, go back into the control panel and recheck the 'Windows Fax and
    Scan'. You may need your Windows install disk.
    11) Now try to scan or fax.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/12/17
    gw1500se

Thanks for the reply. There was no software with the modem other than drivers. I've already tried your suggestion and many others with no joy. I've pretty much given up on MS Fax and Scan based on past experience and numerous comments on forums indicating what **** it its. I just want to find shareware or open source fax software that is not infested with viruses, adware and malware.

5. 2014/12/18
    pweegar

What brand and model of MFD are you using??? Ifind it hard to believe there is no basic scan or fax software included...

I understand your frustration with viruses, adware, etc in "free" software. OR the installer that adds **** to your browser and what not.

6. 2014/12/18
    gw1500se

Conexant, USB Data/Fax/Voice modem.

7. 2014/12/18
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Go garage sale shopping and get a working fax machine for five bucks...

Do you have a printer with fax capabilities?

8. 2014/12/18
    gw1500se

No room for another device and the printer is just a PIXMA 1600. I guess I just need to keep searching on my own.

9. 2014/12/22
    pweegar

IF this is a Canon PIXMA IP 1600 PRINTER, then it is NOT capable of scanning, only printing. Nor does it fax.

IF you can ot get MS Fax and scan software to work, it sounds like you need to rebuild your OS.

10. 2014/12/22
    gw1500se

I know all that. Rebuilding the OS is out of the question.

11. 2014/12/22
    Sid Zafran

Sid Zafran Well-Known Member

FWIW, I have been pleased with SnappyFax for many years. In my case, its cost has been amortized over a reasonably long time period. I do not share my landline phone with a FAX machine and this arrangement gives me a good alternative for sending out sensitive FAXes.

12. 2016/05/27
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

On 2016-05-25 gw1500se wrote:

On my way to looking up other things I found an obscure reference that finally solved the problem. Perhaps a moderator can update the thread for me or link this update into it. Anyway, it turns out, for reasons unknown, that Fax/Scan does not work when the modem is plugged into a USB hub. By rearranging my cables so that the modem is plugged directly into a USB port, Fax/Scan works perfectly.