1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved mp4 volume leveling?

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by savagcl, 2017/09/15.

1. 2017/09/15
    savagcl Lifetime Subscription

savagcl Geek Member Thread Starter

Is there a program that will allow setting volume levels across multiple mp4?

I've looked but came up blank.

thanks,
    clif

2. 2017/09/16
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Most player software has that feature built in its settings. Otherwise, use the following:
    MP3Gain

oops! the above is for mp3.

You can use ffmpeg to normalize volume in mp4. There are frontends to it as well. An example commandline use to increase volume:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i movie.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec libfaac -ab 128K -vol 512 output.mp4
    -vol (higher number = volume increase)

For a graphical tool you can use Avidemux to copy the videos and set the audio the same for all videos.

Last edited: 2017/09/16

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/09/16

TonyT,

Thanks for the feedback.

I tried Avidemux with a audio setting of 20 db and a setting of -20 db but the volume never changed. Got to be the problem is sitting in front
    of the PC.

I have almost 900 mp4's i'm trying to level the audio on. One at a time would take forever.

clif

5. 2017/09/17
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

I would COPY a half dozen videos to a new folder. As a precaution don't try this using the original videos. Then give this program a shot on the copied videos. Bear in mind that any program you use to normalize the audio will be processor intensive and you'll have to limit the conversions to no more than X at a time, where X = probably no more than 10.
    Normalize Audio Volume Levels in your MP4 Videos with MP4Gain

For faster processing I would use ffmpeg, which is a command line tool on Linux or Windows. You'd have to google how to use ffmpeg to batch normalize mp4 audio.

6. 2017/09/17

I tried the trial version of mp4gain. the prog ran but the trial version did not output any file(s) for me to check. Have to buy it for any output...
    ffmpeg seems complicated but i'll give it a go.

thanks,
    clif

7. 2017/09/18
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

This program will work too but it's shareware:
    DDVideo Video to MP4Gain

How to do what you want using avidemux (free software):
    mp4 batch normalization with Avidemux

I think the reason there are so few apps to batch normalize mp4 audio is videos are usually quite long and it's a non-issue for the viewer to adjust the volume on the device it is being watched on. For example, I have a home theater pc I built with 100+ mp4 movies I ripped from dvd and many many family videos, and they all have varying volume levels so I just use the remote to set the volume as I view.

Last edited: 2017/09/18
  8. 2017/09/21

Way over my head.
    I'll close this and just turn the dial - it works :)

clif