1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved moving data and installed programs to a new machine (w/o OEM disc)

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by chaosrn, 2017/01/24.

1. 2017/01/24
    chaosrn Lifetime Subscription

chaosrn Well-Known Member Thread Starter

is it possible to move not only data from an older machine running XP sp3 to a new machine and take the programs (now called Apps in some cases) to the new machine if i don't have the OEM discs?
    most were lost in superstorm Sandy...
    since there really isn't much choice the new machine will be running Win10

2. 2017/01/24
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi chaosrn, Yes it is possible. How to Use Windows Easy Transfer to Migrate XP to Windows 10 – EaseUS
    I used the MS type cable transfer to move my wife's XP data to W8.1 without any hassle. You need to purchase the Cable assy from MS as it has control circuits built in to prevent damage. NEVER connect USB to USB between computers as irreparable damage will be done.
    MS Easy Transfer software is downloaded from Microsoft and there is a Flash video explaining how to do it. The link above maybe your easiest way.
    Transfer to Windows 8 with an Easy Transfer Cable
    This is the type of transfer cable - note the small box in the cable.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/01/25

Thank you.

5. 2017/01/26

i'm sorry, i re-read your reply and am not certain i understood the answer as one that works for my question.
    to wit: will that cable and software allow me to take the apps as wel, without corrupting the OS (¿Win10?) but keep the functionality of the old programs?

6. 2017/01/27
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

As far as I know you cannot transfer installed programs to the new operating system computer, and likely some XP software is not compatible with newer versions of Windows. However, you may be able to download newer versions of software and install on Windows 10 and use the old software license keys.

chaosrn likes this.
  7. 2017/01/27
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Sorry chaosrn I hadn't given you all the info. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-easy-transfer-is-not-available-in-windows-10
    How to Use Windows Easy Transfer to Migrate XP to Windows 10 – EaseUS This is the route using easeus. Tony has explained regarding the XP software which is not always compatible and will not run unless you Re-install with the appropriate product key from the manufacturers disc with updated drivers to suit W10. Easy Transfer was a Microsoft program that was available I think from XP/Vista/W7/ W8/8.1 but was not continued with W10 for obvious reasons.
    If you read the links I have supplied, you will find the answers and the suggested methods to follow.
    What I did with my wife's comps worked from XP to W8.1 and then the Upgrade to W10 went OK. I did not and have not moved XP directly to W10. Easeus and AOMEI (Google to find) will work if you follow their instructions to the letter. Remember to back up your XP BEFORE you start any transfers.

chaosrn likes this.