1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Move 2 Win 7 files to new Win 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by BOBBO, 2015/08/05.

1. 2015/08/05
    BOBBO

BOBBO Geek Member Thread Starter

A few days ago I took delivery of a new Dell 2-in-1 11.6" laptop that my wife and I will use when traveling. It came with Windows 10 pre-installed. We're both accustomed to using SeaMonkey as our browser and e-mail programs, and I was able to download and install the latest version of SM into the new machine. It took some time to configure it the way we want, but it works fine.

The only snag so far is that I'd like to get the Address Book and Personal Dictionary from our Windows 7 home computer into the new laptop but I haven't found a way to do that yet. From what I've read, each OS version has its own version of the User Profile, so importing the entire old profile from our Windows 7 machine won't work. I'm willing to just copy and paste those two files into the new profile if that would work. But right now I can't even find where to copy those 2 files to. I could rebuild an entirely new Address Book, but that's a chore I'd like to avoid. Our old Personal Dictionary is huge, and could be copied into a NotePad or WordPad file -- could I then install that into the Win 10 laptop? Any ideas?

2. 2015/08/06
    broni

broni Moderator Malware Analyst

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/08/06
    BOBBO

Thanks for the reply, Broni. I downloaded and installed the Mozbackup program, but it doesn't appear to do what I want it to. First, it doesn't appear to backup the Personal Dictionary, which is my primary wish. I've already copied onto a thumbdrive that file, along with the Address Book file, from my Windows 7 desktop computer, but so far my attempts to paste it into the new Win 10 laptop haven't succeeded.

The Personal Dictionary file (persdic) is especially frustrating. I first copied it into WinWord to get the words in alphabetical order so I could read them, then copied it into WordPad and Notepad, then tried to paste each of them into the Win 10 profile. Each time one would go in but I don't seem able to save it properly -- it wouldn't be there the next time I opened the profile's version of the file.

Am I doing something wrong, or is the problem that I'm copying a Win 7 file from one computer into a new computer running an OEM version of Win 10? Or is it neither of the above?

5. 2015/08/07
    broni

What exactly is "Personal Dictionary "?

6. 2015/08/07
    BOBBO

It's a file in an e-mail program's profile, created by the program itself. It's a collection of words that the user has entered in a message that the spellchecker didn't recognize. When "Add to dictionary" was pressed, that's where the new word went. From then on, that word is recognized by the spellchecker as OK. What the profile's name for it is will differ from program to program. In SeaMonkey, I think it's Persdic.dat

And it's what I'm trying to work on in my new Win 10 laptop. The file is there already but it contains only a handful of words I've used so far that it's saved at this point. I'd like to copy the contents of the much larger file from my Win 7 desktop into it so they will stay there and the new file will work as it should and I won't have to build it up all over again.

7. 2015/08/07
    broni

I did some checking and it's called persdict.dat
    Why can't you move that file from Win 7 to Win 10?

8. 2015/08/07
    BOBBO

I did, but for some reason it wasn't successful -- new messages still didn't recognize words in that file. Why they didn't, I don't know.

Last night I had an idea. Instead of struggling to copy and paste the entire file over and over again, I copied a NotePad version of its contents onto a thumbdrive and pasted them into the persdict.dat file in the new laptop's profile. They stuck, which is an improvement, but I'm having varying success with the file functioning perfectly. Why it's only partially successful is another mystery.

9. 2015/08/07
    BOBBO

Success at last! The fix was to use the Mozbackup program, but first I had to download and install it also on the new laptop so it could read and work on what I'd copied onto a thumbdrive from the desktop computer's version of the profile I'd copied using the Mozbackup program I'd already installed there. Sounds confusing, doesn't it? It's an extra complication that arose because I was working on 2 separate computers rather than working on upgrading a program inside a single computer. The rest of the procedure was new to me, and it took some time to get everything done. But the new Address Book looks complete, and the Personal Dictionary seems to work. So I'll mark the thread Resolved now. Thanks for the help.

10. 2015/08/07
    broni

[​IMG]......