1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Mounting write proteced flash drive

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Hotaru, 2015/07/09.

1. 2015/07/09
    Hotaru

Hotaru Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have 3 flash drives with write protect switches on the side. I keep the write protect switches engaged. They are formatted NTFS since only limited ext3 support is achievable in Windows. Linux doesn't care about all this; it just mounts them read-only.

Yesterday was the first time I needed to use one of these flash drives on my Win8.1 Pro x64 box. It did get a drive letter but the drive was unmountable. All I could get was an error saying the drive is inaccessible due to being write protected. I found a YouTube video that made it appear I could set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies to a value of 1 (DWORD). I tried that but it did not make any difference. I even tried rebooting just to be sure the registry would be re-read.

Is there some other setting or registry hack I can use, or is this something that Windows just does not allow?

2. 2015/07/09
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Did you disable the protection switch to see what would happen?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/07/09
    Hotaru

I just did and it worked perfectly.

I use the write protection so I am free to use the drive on a Windows PC that is known to be infected.

5. 2015/07/09
    Steve R Jones

When you first popped the drive into the Win 8 machine - did the standard auto play thing pop up? If you cancel that and try to access the drive via Win Explorer did that work?

6. 2015/07/09
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

What do you mean by "Known to be infected" If you haven't done so already. Why not head over to the Malware and Virus Removal Forum and have broni take a look at that machine. I would also be very helpful if you would please enter your System Specifications. How To Add System Specifications to Your Profile

Last edited: 2015/07/09
    lj50,
  7. 2015/07/09
    Steve R Jones

LJ, I'm guessing he uses the drives to help scan other peoples machines;)

8. 2015/07/09
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Thanks Steve. Doh, didn't think of that. When I read anything about a possible infection it raises red flags for me.

Last edited: 2015/07/09
    lj50,
  9. 2015/07/09
    Hotaru

There is no autoplay dialog when I insert the drive. It does appear in Explorer. When I try to open the drive, I get the error. Same if I try to go to the drive on the command line.

This drive is my big multiplatform toolbox archive. Once it was on a CD-RW. Then two CD-RWs. Then a DVD-RW. Now a flash drive. I needed the drive on my Windows PC because I upgraded an application from 6.7 to 7.0 and it forced me to re-enter the serial number. I would have used the Linux PC to grab the serial number, but at the time it was down for a Clonezilla backup which takes 9 hours. That is what I ended up doing once Linux was up again.

I added my Windows PC specifications to my profile. If you saw my post in the Windows 10 section, this is the one I referred to as the big desktop.

10. 2015/07/10
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Linux will mount it read-only & that's by design. Windows will not mount it if the write-protect switch is ON. That too is by design.

I suggest using a small program on the thumb drive that inoculates it. Panda has one and there are others. Such a program prevents the drive from becoming infected on windows systems. An infected computer will usually try to put an autorun.inf file on the thumb drive.

Panda USB Vaccine - Antimalware and Vaccine for USB devices