1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Monitor goes off after startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Hunterrr, 2016/07/11.

1. 2016/07/11
    Hunterrr

Hunterrr New Member Thread Starter

I went into display on my control panel to change small laptop monitor display to larger remote monitor. Didn't know about fn and f8 buttons to switch until now.
    I got into advanced settings and disabled monitor somehow.
    Laptop monitor shows windows booting up then goes black.
    Can't get back into control panel to reverse my stupid mistake.
    Please
    Help

2. 2016/07/12
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Hunterrr, Welcome to WindowsBBS.:) Have you connected your external monitor? Please supply info about your laptop as we may be able to help you better if we know the system details. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/07/12
    Hunterrr

Thank you.
    Yes, I have the remote monitor hooked up in back of the laptop with the 15 pin connection. Laptop is a dell latitude D620, with centrino duo and windows xp professional (windows vista compatible).Model PP18L
    The monitor shows windows starting, then goes to a lighted (but blank) screen.
    When I press fn and f8, the lighted but blank screen goes to the remote monitor.
    I didn't know about the fn button at that time so I went into display in the controls and in the advanced settings, disabled the monitor thinking it would switch to the other.

5. 2016/07/13
    retiredlearner

I just tried a little experiment. I have a HP 1000 Notebook which is 3 years old. It started life with W8 and was updated to W8.1 and is now running W10 Home 64bit. I went into Control Panel > Display > Project to a second screen > choose second screen only > and the screen went blank!!! I used ESC key to return to normal - have you tried that??? Neil.

6. 2016/07/13
    Hunterrr

Yes I did and thank you for helping but it didn't work. My laptop screen is lit but blank. When I press fn and f8 it switches to the remote screen then it too is lit but blank.
    When it happened I was in the advanced settings in the display in the monitor tab. It showed a screen with a 1 on it and a screen with a 2.
    I disabled one or maybe both........
    When I turn on the laptop, the monitor shows windows booting up, then goes blank.
    I pressed f12 and ran in all selections but same result. When windows is done booting up, the monitor is lit but blank.
    I tried changing the date in the setup also and reset all the factory defaults but same result. Both monitors ate working, they are lit but blank.
    I am not by any means knowledgeable about these things and I appreciate all the help I can get. Retired on a fixed income and need to get this working

7. 2016/07/13
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Hunterrr, Welcome to Windowsbbs! :)

Does the monitor continue to work if you boot the computer into Safe Mode?

In your computers BIOS, have you looked for an option that shows you what display output device the computer is using?

8. 2016/07/13
    Hunterrr

Yes it is on in dafemodebut shows an entire screen of strings like
    multi(0)disk(0)rdidk(0)partition(1)\windows\apppatch\drvmain.SDB
    ". ". ". ". ". system32\drivers\acpi.sys

And so on.. But it freezes on that screen, no effect when I press enter, ESC, or other keys.

In the bios, under device info
    the video controller is intei 945gm graphics
    Video bios version is 1264

What else should I look for?
    When I ESC the bios, after windows loads, the screen is lit but blank

9. 2016/07/13
    retiredlearner

Have you exited from BIOS as set all Defaults? Failing this I would think you may have to try a System Restore to a time before you upset it. Neil.

10. 2016/07/14
    Hunterrr

Yes, several times saved all defaults before exiting bios. How do I perform a system restore? Its not avail in bios and my screen is blank after windows loads

11. 2016/07/14
    retiredlearner

Sorry, if you're not seeing any of your OS on the screen - no go. Does your BIOS show on screen/s as normal? Just Windows XP not starting?

12. 2016/07/14
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Did you ever create a set of recovery disks.

13. 2016/07/14

Worked on a lot of Dell Latitude D610 machines. The Dell Latitude D620 basically the same machine. You are more than likely are going to have to reinstall the OS using recovery disks. Dell no longer offers this computer. If you have another computer to use in order to access the Dell website you can try using the Service Tag or the Express Service Tag to see if you can possibility download and put the OS on a disk or flash drive.

14. 2016/07/14
    Hunterrr

The bios shows the service tag# and bios version and date.

Bios shows on screen as normal, so does windows as it is starting...then nothing

15. 2016/07/14

It's obvious whatever settings changes you made within the OS may have disabled any chance of getting some type of display. That is why you may need to reinstall the OS from recovery disks it may be the only way to reset the changes you've made within the OS.

16. 2016/07/14
    retiredlearner

I agree LJ. Does the Dell have a Recovery Partition like Toshiba and HP? I had to use the RP on my brother's Toshiba last year and you had to hold F12 (I think) while starting laptop to get RP started. If not, your suggestion of disc use will be the only option. Neil.

17. 2016/07/15

Neil. There should be RP unless for come catastrophic reason that may have occurred wiping it out. I'm not sure if the OP will be able to get the monitor to display anything in order to use it.

18. 2016/07/15
    retiredlearner

LJ, it's not necessary to see anything if the laptop has the Recovery Partition. My HP and my brother's Toshiba only require a Key to be held down during Start button press. I press F11 and hold during Start and release when the RP appears on screen. This may be a problem but if the BIOS shows, it will be worth a try. Hunterrr may have to Google to find the necessary F Key combo. Neil.

19. 2016/07/16

My HP machines(2) when the HP splash screen shows you press esc. and it takes you to a menu where you can access different aspects of the machine by pressing a Function Key. I usually use F2 Diagnostics, F9 Boot Options, and very rarely F11 System Recovery. If is comes to the point where I need to use F11. I pull the drive and use my Driver Erazer to wipe the drive. This HP is my business machine so it doesn't bother me to start over with a fresh install of the OS. All my tools are on a flash drive. This is the machine that I'm considering upgrading to Windows 10 Professional. It came with Win 7 Pro 64-bit preinstalled and I performed a Windows Anytime Upgrade to Win 7 Ultimate and as long as I have the Product Key for Ultimate it allows me to use the Windows Anytime Upgrade to go from Pro to Ultimate. How to Factory Reset a Dell Latitude D620 If that doesn't work:

1. Press the Power button to start the PC
    2. At the Dell logo, hold the Ctrl key and press the F11 key simultaneously.
    3. The Dell PC Restore screen will come up.
    4. Select Restore or use the Tab key to highlight it and press Enter.
    5. if you wish to continue, click Confirm, or use the Tab key to highlight it and press Enter.
    6. When the utility is finished, click Finish, or use the Tab key to highlight it and press Enter.

Last edited: 2016/07/16
  20. 2016/07/16
    Hunterrr

Thank you all for responding. Have tried all combinations of buttons listed. No restore option ever comes up.
    Comp was a gift, an outdated model at a friends place of business when they upgraded. No recovery disks.
    When I press power button, dell screen appears, then windows loads (all are visible), then screen stays lit but goes blank

21. 2016/07/17

Can I have the Service Tag and Express Service Tag.