1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Missing msnp32.dll

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by John boy, 2003/03/16.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/03/16
    John boy

John boy Inactive Thread Starter

When I start my computer I get an error message saying Missing msnp32.dll. I found the file on my windows 98se cd and saved it to my desk top. Could you tell me which file or directory to put it in so I do not get this error?

2. 2003/03/16
    Abraxas

Abraxas Inactive

Probably the Windows\system directory (no harm if wrong).

You might try registering it, too, in case.

Run:
    regsvr32 C:\Windows\system\msnp32.dll (if C: is your hd).

If it is self-registering, that will register it. If it isn't, then no hrm here, either.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/03/16
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

If Abraxas' suggestion does not work, ms.com suggests that if it turns out not to be as simple as extracting and replacing the file then you got to do the Network unistall/reinstall procedure.

===A bit of redundancy: Overview============
    When you start Windows, you may receive the following error message:
    Unable to load the dynamic link library: msnp32.dll
    The system cannot find the file specified.
    Some or all of the following feature is not available:
    Microsoft Network

To resolve this behavior, extract a new copy of the Msnp32.dll file from the Windows installation media. For additional information about how to extract a file, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Use SFC.exe
    129605 How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q243431

If the behavior continues after extracting the file, remove and reinstall the Client for Microsoft Networks using the Network tool in Control Panel.
    =============================
    File is related to Microsoft networking, and the error message mean you may need to change or reinstall your networking components. You'll need your original Windows installation CD or the installation files on your hard disk.

----With the win98 installation CD in place----

>Right-click Network Neighborhood (Windows 95/98) or My Network Places (Windows Me)

>Select Properties from the menu. You will see references to a client for Microsoft Networks, TCP/IP, your dial-up adapter, or your network card.

>Select "Client for Microsoft Networks," choose Remove, and click OK.

>Windows will reconfigure for the absence of this component and prompt you to restart the system, which you should do.

>When the system restarts, you may or may not see the same error messages, depending on how misconfigured the system is.

*After Windows has started,

>Repeat the steps to get to the Network properties window.

>Now click Add and double-click Client in the "Select Network Component Type" window.

>Select Microsoft as the manufacturer in the left half of the window and choose "Client for Microsoft Networks" in the right window.

>Click OK twice to accept this setting and to complete the properties configuration.

>Then restart the system as prompted. The errors should vanish, and networking should function properly.

5. 2003/10/03
    ibew jw

ibew jw Inactive

goddez1,
    I did a search for msnp32.dll because I was haveing the same problem and this article solved my problem completely. Thanks so much for your help, I love this place, Steve

6. 2003/10/03
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi Steve,

Your most certainly welcome. Glad to see the "Archives" are being used. Some days I wonder.

Thank you for updating this post and sharing your result.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.