1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Missing apps on Programs and features

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by andrea23, 2014/08/30.

1. 2014/08/30
    andrea23

andrea23 Inactive Thread Starter

Hi everybody,

I have Windows 8.1 on my laptop. To my surprise (it never happened this to me before), I recently noticed that most apps on Programs and features on Control Panel were "suddenly" missing; only Microsoft applications are displayed. I have not recently installed any new software that may have caused this, my antivirus did not detect anything, and the only relevant event that has occurred on my system within the last 48hrs. were a couple of Windows Updates (Windows Malicious Software Removal tool - KB890830; Security Update -KB2993651).

I have been doing some research online and checking my computer, and I think that the "missing" programs problem may be caused by this recent update which could contain a bug. Looking at my latest Windows Updates, the Malicious Software Removal Tool has been automatically installed up to three times within the last couple of weeks (plus one failed attempt); however, this update does not appear on Programs and Features/Installed updates (please see details below).

I scanned the system using Malwarebytes but it did not detect anything, so I run sfc /scannow and detected some corrupted files. Is there any tool or app that I can use to fix the corrupted files? I know that this can be done manually, but I don't think I have a known good copy of all the files affected and it would be easy for me to make mistakes with the syntax.

Thanks.

2. 2014/08/30
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi andrea23. Do you know which applications went missing from your machine? You are talking about the list of applications in the Uninstall a program window in Control Panel correct?

Have you perhaps tried a System Restore to restore your computer before this issue occurred?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/08/30
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Evan, would View > Refresh in Control panel help? Neil.

5. 2014/08/30
    Evan Omo

I doubt it since by re-opening Control Panel the items would be refreshed anyway.

6. 2014/08/31
    andrea23

Hi Evan,

Yes, the apps displayed in Program and Features (Uninstall) - such as Adobe, Avast, Malwarebytes, WinRAR, Windows apps, Realtek, Sony apps... everything but Microsoft apps is gone in that list. Unfortunately, I cannot do a system restore since I had disabled that function when I installed the SSD to reduce writes; and that also means that I cannot make use of the saved copies of files to fix the corrupted ones. I think that my only option would be to reinstall the whole system.

7. 2014/08/31
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

:( Windows 8.1 is NOT XP and today's SSDs are not the same as the first generation SSDs of many years ago.

Today's SSDs do NOT suffer from a restrictive limit on the number of writes as first generation SSDs did.

There is no reason to disable System Restore on any system, let alone one with SSDs. If you changed Windows 8 defaults on ANYTHING else because "that's what we did with older versions of Windows ", then undo those changes.

And FTR, when you disabled SR, any saved copies were deleted, so there are none to "make use of" even if you could.

No! That would be the absolute LAST RESORT option. Again, W8 is NOT XP! We ALL have to stop treating it like it is. A "repair" may be necessary but I highly doubt a full re-install is.

Do your installed programs work? Since you ran MBAM, it seems they do. What happens if you reinstall MBAM, does it now appear in the list? I suspect it will.

Note that Metro apps (apps from the Windows Store) don't show up in Program and Features.

Are you sure you did not select "View installed updates" which only shows MS stuff?

Also, some [overly aggressive] "cleaner" programs will clean out installers. Did you recently run some cleaner or :eek: some "optimizer" program?

Bill,
  8. 2014/09/01
    andrea23

Hi Bill, thanks for your answer.

Yes, I did select Programs and features (Uninstall) and did not select View installed updates. I have not used any "cleaner" or "optimizer" programs.

My apps work properly. I might reinstall the apps again (although I don't remember the whole list) so that they appear on Programs and features; but that was not really what concerns me the most. My concern is how to repair the corrupted files; that's why I mentioned a full recovery as a solution since sfc /scannow was unable to fix the corrupted files and I have not found yet a tool to do it.

9. 2014/09/01
    Bill

They "should" be in your Start menu. And frankly, if you cannot remember a program, then perhaps you don't need it.

You can try a repair install, but it would be better to see if the problem can be fixed without such drastic measures. I sure don't mean to drive anyone away from WindowsBBS, but I recommend you post this question at Sysnative where fixing sfc /scannow issues is an area of focus there. Please post back here with a followup when done.

Bill,
    andrea23 likes this.
  10. 2014/09/01
    andrea23

Hi Bill, thanks again for your feedback. I really appreciate your help. Windows 8.1 does not have a Start menu as Windows 7, for example, where all apps are listed. Why "such drastic measures "? Rather than spending time on trying to repair the corrupted files (assuming they can be fixed) - which may not guarantee that all missing applications will be displayed again on Programs and Features -, I think that a fresh installation using the Recovery disks previously created would be actually the easiest (and maybe quickest) way to sort this out and ensure that all files are OK (no corrupted) and all applications are listed on Programs and features.

11. 2014/09/02
    Bill

Not for items purchased through the Microsoft Store. But you can still access your desktop and start menu. Press the Win key.

That is your call.

12. 2014/09/02
    andrea23

Hi Bill. Thanks. It is not possible to get access to a Windows 7-like menu on Windows 8.1 unless you install it. The Menu you get by pressing the Win key includes options such as Event Viewer, Control Panel, Run, Command Prompt, Power Options...

After all the feedback gathered from all of you, I think I will definitely go for a full installation. Thank you all.

13. 2014/09/02
    Evan Omo

If you need a step by step procedure on performing a clean install of Windows 8 then see this link, How to Do a Clean Install of Windows 8 or Windows 8.1.

Post back after performing a clean install and let us know how everything is working. Make sure to install all of the Windows Updates, install the device drivers for your hardware by visiting the manufacturers website, and make sure you are using a couple of adequate security programs to help keep your system secure such as MSE or Avast, Spyware Blaster, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Now would also be a good time to backup all your important data before performing the clean install.

andrea23 likes this.
  14. 2014/09/03
    andrea23

Thank you, Evan Omo, for your help. My computer is a Sony, so I actually follow the steps indicated by the Sony application (Vaio Care) which offers two options: restoring the system to factory settings using the data stored on the Recovery partition; or using the Recovery disks in order to proceed with the full installation. Which one is the best?

The system also comes with UEFI, so I guess I don't need to do anything specific as long as the installation goes well. By the way, could you tell me the main drivers I should install, please? Network, sound, video card...?? I am a bit reluctant to update the graphic card driver; the reason is that many of the updates are intended to improve games performance (I am not a gamer), so they don't have any benefit for me. As to UEFI, I prefer not to "touch" it as long as it works fine.

As to the security software, I also install Avast Internet Security and Malwarebytes Premium since they seem to complement each other (along with Windows Defender already preinstalled). My data is backed up on a USB drive.

15. 2014/09/03
    Evan Omo

Restoring the system to factory settings will restore the computer to how you bought it when you first turned it on. If you don't want to deal with updating the drivers then this would be an option but you would have to remove the bloatware that the factory restore put on the machine.

Using the recovery disks will format the entire drive and perform a clean install of Windows but you will need to visit Sony's website to download all the drivers from scratch but with this method you won't have to worry about removing any bloatware.

If it was me I would use the recovery disks and perform a clean install.

Yes you would install chipset, network, audio, video, touchpad, and wireless drivers. If the computer has Bluetooth then you would need to install the driver for that as well.

andrea23 likes this.
  16. 2014/09/03
    andrea23

Hi Evan Omo. Thanks again for your feedback. I should also mention that the Recovery disks I have I believe they are created from the data stored on the Recovery partition. As manufacturers do not provide recovery disks anymore, it is the user who needs to create them. Thus, I think that whatever option I will choose it will be the same in terms of what will be installed on the drive, isn't it?

As to the drivers, should I use the utility that can be downloaded from Intel's website to find out about the family and type of chipset installed on my laptop?

Thanks.

17. 2014/09/03
    Evan Omo

Well you will need to see if the recovery disks give you an option to restore your computer back to factory defaults or if you can perform a clean install only.

If you don't know what type of video chip your computer has then you can run that utility and see what it says. But if you know your laptop model you should be able to figure out what video chip you have and just download the driver from Intel's site directly.

andrea23 likes this.
  18. 2014/09/03
    retiredlearner

19. 2014/09/04
    andrea23

Thank you, Evan Omo, that's very kind.

20. 2014/09/04
    andrea23

Hi retiredlearner, thanks for your answer. The issue has to do apparently with some Windows updates recently installed automatically on my laptop: Malicious software tool KB890830 and Security Update KB2993651. Since I got these updates, Programs and Features on Control Panel do not display all the apps and programs installed on the driver; just the Microsoft apps.

Nevertheless, I can see that last August updates may have caused many problems to users.

21. 2014/09/04
    retiredlearner

This is the MS procedure to follow:MS14-045: Description of the security update for kernel-mode drivers: August 12, 2014.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2982791
    This may be too late for you but it seems that Repair is recommended. Neil.

andrea23 likes this.