1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Mirroring 2003 Web Edition

Discussion in 'Windows Server System' started by donniem, 2004/09/09.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/09/09
    donniem

donniem Inactive Thread Starter

Hey Guys/Gals:

New to this web forum and found some good information so I thought I would try to see if any of you could offer some help or assitance to my problem. I have 2 servers (spec'd the same) that have Windows 2003 Web Edition. We use them for commercial web hosting. I wanted to know if anyone knew of any way to mirror the one server to the secondary? In case of failure I can simply change IP addresses and it be done. Is there a program that can run that will do this? It doesnt have to be running all the time. Once a night would be sufficient.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Donnie

2. 2004/09/09
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Hi Donnie and welcome.

Take a look at This Microsoft white paper about using Cluster Server for high availability web servers. The paper is 2000 server based but 2003 will do all of that and more.

You will probably need to read up on Cluster Server as well but basically, you have a group of servers (2 or more) that have the same data and a problem with the #1 server will automatically trigger a fail-over the the #2 server with no loss of data and only a second or two of interrupted service, if that.

We are using a couple of clusters. Not web servers but a large Oracle dB app that has to be up and running 7x24 (6 server cluster) and a 2 server cluster that controls and coordinates some factory operations. Both have done well for us.

Newt,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/09/10
    donniem

donniem Inactive Thread Starter

hey thanks for the welcome. I appreciate it. i was reading this article and it was for windows 2000. my question is our company obvioulsy went the cheaper route and bought 2003 web edition. someone was saying that this version would not allow h.a.?

thanks for taking the time to respond, i really appreciate it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.