1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

[Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool] - Does it work?

Discussion in 'Malware and Virus Removal Archive' started by moboking, 2005/01/18.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/01/18
    moboking

moboking Inactive Thread Starter

http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx

That's the link to a free online virus scan from Microsoft. I ran the scan and it took only less than a minute! Then it said my pc is ok. One minute? Appearantly it only scans for a dozen bugs. So in that case, what good is it anyway?

Last edited: 2005/01/18
  2. 2005/01/18
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Three page discussion of the app Here.

FWIW, I still have Ad-aware and Spybot loaded but am not even updating them these days. Going with the M$ app and it's doing the job nicely, and automatically, and for $0.00.

Newt,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/01/19
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

Please follow Posting Rules (#3 - Meaningful Subject) when posting.

I have adjusted your subject.

5. 2005/01/19
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

What the MS beta app doesn't seem to be doing is flagging tracking cookies though.

Regards - Charles

Last edited: 2005/01/19
  6. 2005/01/19
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool

Just checking here as I could be thinking wrong.

Are you refering to the MSAntiSpyWare ? If so isn't that a different thing ?

I believe MMSRT was installed via the Windows Update. At least that is where I believe I saw and got it.

My "Senior Moments" may be playing tricks on me too. That is #1 reason why I am checking.

BillyBob

7. 2005/01/19

BillyBob Inactive

Doing a search I found this. Which sort of supporst my idea of coming from Windows Update.

The Microsoft Windows malicious software removal tool will be offered in the following ways:

As a high-priority update through Windows Update and through Auto Update for the more than 112 million Windows XP-based PCs configured to receive priority updates automatically
    Through a simple, online interface.
    For larger corporate customers, a download through the Microsoft Download Center

BillyBob

8. 2005/01/19
    charlesvar

BB, both Newt and I are referring to Anti-Spyware.

Regards - Charles

9. 2005/01/19

BillyBob Inactive

I figured that, And that is why I asked.

I do not think it fits the original question. Whch asks about

Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool

Which for all I can see is something different.

And again I am only checking to be sure that I am not traveling on the wrong track. Or retaining or passing on bad info.

BillyBob

10. 2005/01/19
    charlesvar

You're right, Newt changed the subject :)

Regards - Charles

11. 2005/01/19

BillyBob Inactive

Same here.

BillyBob

12. 2005/01/19

BillyBob Inactive

charlesvar

Thank you very much.

BillyBob

13. 2005/01/19
    moboking

So the reason that this tool is part of a critical update, it means that the bulk of the tool is already part of Windows. In other words, the "engine" is already installed from a critical update and the "tool" that was manually downloaded from the hotlink in the original post was just the viral definition update?

Does this mean now that Windows itself has an integrated antivirus detection and eradication capability just like its Windows Firewall? I am starting to get confused here.

This is of course not the same as the antispyware app from MS which is in beta so I will not try it out either on my machines or my customers machines.

14. 2005/01/19

BillyBob Inactive

moboking

From what I see here I think you are very close to being right.

I ran it once from the link you provided. I did not let it install the first time. Next time I tried to run it it would not work. Maybe If I had restarted Windows it would have though.

So the next time I ran it I let it install. Now I can run it any time via the link.

BillyBob

15. 2005/01/19
    moboking

If Windows has a built-in AV and it runs in the bg, then would it conflict with any non-MS AV app that we install?

I have a feeling that MS is gonna get hit with antitrust lawsuits from the likes of Symantec and Lavasoft. Remember the browser war of yesteryears?

16. 2005/01/19
    Admin.

NO

Nothing of this tool is "build in" windows.

It only scans for the (active) presence of these "nasties ":
    • Berbew
    • Blaster
    • DoomJuice
    • Gaobot
    • Mydoom
    • Nachi
    • Sasser
    • Zindos

The tool doesn't include any real-time scanning capabilities. Microsoft says it will release new versions of the tool each month alongside its monthly security updates.

17. 2005/01/19
    Admin.

No he didn't: I did.

But the link moboking provided is the the Malware removal tool, not the AntiSpyware tool...

18. 2005/01/19
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

Congratultions ...... :) ...... You were told that Your protective software does it's job well!

No, it does not substitute Your AntiVirus software.

It does not install anything permanently on the system. It extracts to a temporary folder, runs and creates a log. When finished, it removes itself along with the temporary folder.

It leaves two files behind, a log-file in C:\Windows\Debug\mrt.log and a file in C:\Windows\Prefetch\mrt.exe-********.pf

It only scans for the "nasties" that Arie listed. The next version, which will be released next month, will scan for additional "nasties ". By additional, I mean that the tool is cumulative. "Nasties" are added to the previous list, no "nastie" gets removed. A new version will be released each month and You don't need to "collect" the tools versions, the latest covers all.

Christer

Last edited: 2005/01/19
  19. 2005/01/19
    moboking

If it does not install anything permanent in the PC, then first of all, it does not provide real-time protection. That means we should keep onboard one that does like NAV. Secondly, if it does not install permanently in Windows, then what the heck is the Malware Removal Tool that I installed as part of a critical update? Unless, what you meant by "it" was the critical update Malware Removal Tool itself that does not install permanently. Remember we are talking about 2 pieces of software here. One comes in as a critical update while the other is this online scan. The later is probably an ActiveX module. My confusion is why there are 2 pieces to this functionalty. My best guess is one is the engine and the other is the viral definition.

20. 2005/01/19
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

That's the one! It was available either through Windows Update or Microsoft Download. I always download the updates to HDD, to store in my "updates library" and install from there. That particular update didn't install but behaved as I described.

I've not seen the online scan. Will check it out tomorrow.

Christer

21. 2005/01/19
    moboking

Ok, how do I find this Malware Removal Tool on the computer, the one that was downloaded and "installed" and run as a critical update file? I redid a critical update scan and MS website says I am up to date and that there are not any new critical updates available. This means that this MRT is on the computer and can be reused. But where is it and how to activate it? Perhaps it lies dormant until we click on the online scan? Of all the Microsoft tools, this is perhaps the most mysterious....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.