1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Microsoft Paint - Out of memory message

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by w.young, 2003/05/09.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/05/09
    w.young

w.young Inactive Thread Starter

The paint pgm worked before. BUT now when I click on Paint under accessories the Pc slows down and eventually the Paint pgm will open. Then when I try to do anything in paint or exit paint, I get the following error.
    "OUT OF MEMORY "

Nothing was added or deleted on the Pc. Its a win2000 Pro Pc with 512Ram, P4 2.2ghz.

How can I fix this.

2. 2003/05/10
    Miz

Miz Inactive Alumni

Even with plenty of RAM, if there are a lot of programs running in the background, the system can run out of memory. Try closing a few down and see if that helps.

If too many programs running isn't the problem, the cause is often a corrupted file the program needs in order to run properly.

Rather than do a lot of troubleshooting to figure out exactly which file, try uninstalling and reinstalling Paint - Control Panel>Add & Remove Programs>Windows Components>Accessories>Details button. Uncheck Paint and click Apply (or OK) to uninstall then go back, check Paint and Apply (or OK) to reinstall.

Miz,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/05/10
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

After you open paint click image>attributes. Now click the default button. The default size should be 512 X 384. If it's not, type in the size. Now close paint and when it asks if you want to save the changes choose no. Open paint again and see what happens. I'm guessing that right now it's opening with a large image size. This can cause paint to open slow and use a large amount of memory. If this isn't what's happening, sorry, can't help you. Figured it was worth a shot though.

5. 2003/05/10
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.