1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Microsoft Office Word 2007 in Windows 8.1 not working properly

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Beach Boy, 2014/06/26.

1. 2014/06/26
    Beach Boy

Beach Boy Well-Known Member Thread Starter

In January I had some didfficulty to install offce word 2007 but with help from BBS I got it installed successfully. A couple days ago I noticed that I was not able to access an important 8 page article article I had written, as a well as a number of other articles that were written and saved in the program long ago. When I click on them to access them a note would come up saying, "The directory name is not valid. (E:\New Microsoft Office Word Document...) "

I tried the Diagnostic program and a repair program to resolve this problem, all to no avail. I also did a system restore to 7 days prior, when it was working properly, but that did not help. And now I don't even see the 8 pages I had typed as well as a couple other articles, but most of the ones that are there now I am able to access. I would really appreciate some help to get back the missing articles. Thanks in advance.

beach boy

2. 2014/06/26
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Do you have an E drive?

Where exactly are the missing files located? If you look for them with Win Explorer do you see them?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/06/26
    Beach Boy

I don't have an e drive, but I have 2 flash drives which I had searched to see if any of the missing files were on them, but they were not. Can you tell me how to look for them in Win Explorer? Thanks.

5. 2014/06/28
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Its not Office 2007 or Win 8 fault. The drive on which you saved the documents is not available and so you are getting the error.

How did you search for the missing files on the flash drives ?

6. 2014/06/28
    Beach Boy

Thanks Rsinfo, I hope you can help. I searched for the files on the flash drives by simply attaching the drives to my laptop one at a time and checking everything that was on them. I had added to them many of the folders/files from my old laptop Microsoft Word 7 and my Documents file. Or so I thought. But I could not find any. My old laptop which is a Vista Home Basic NEVER gave me any problems with files I placed onto it in Word or Documents during the 6 years I used it. Even though I had planned to dump this old laptop, I will keep it and check it out again. I believe some of the files I am looking for are still on it and can hopefully be transferred to my new laptop. Somehow I think this whole situation should not be difficult to solve. Thanks again.

beach boy

7. 2014/06/28
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Perhaps you did not copy the files from your old laptop successfully. If you still have the old laptop you can copy the files from there.

8. 2014/06/30
    Beach Boy

Thanks Rsinfo, but that's not the problem. I had no problem at all copying the files from my old laptop. I recently spent hours on my old laptop looking around for files, but I already have all that are there on my new laptop. I also found out that some of them on the old pc, I could not access easily and that note would come up saying why. I have never seen that note on my old pc before. A couple times while doing the Repair program on my new pc a note came up saying that I need to go to the Microsoft store and update my Word program with a new feature that is required which I have to pay for. My main concern now is whether or not I can find those missing 8 pages which took me much time to type and check properly!

9. 2014/06/30
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Something is wrong somewhere. Until & unless you are using a demo or time limited copy of MS Office, MS is never going to ask you for the money for the updation of Word. Please post the exact message.

See if you can open this document with Wordpad instead of Word.

10. 2014/07/01
    Beach Boy

Something's wrong alright. Here is he exact wording of the results of the repair check done by a program in my taskbar called Action Center...

"Program Compatibility Troubleshooter... A paid upgrade is available... Go to the vendor site and get the upgrade. This program [word 2007] has a compatibility issue and may not work right. The vendor has a paid upgrade that's compatible with this version of Windows "

In checking around, I found a statement that my lost pages could be in the temporary file and when I finally accessed what I think was the temp file there was much info in there but they seem to be large icons (?). I went to the apps file and accessed Wordpad and could not get to Word 2007 from there. My Word 2007 is genuine and non-commercial which I bought years ago for my old laptop and started using on my new laptop in December last year. I went to the trouble and checked the updates (you know those starting the letters KB) and found after a careful check that the last 15 which were updated on my old pc are also on my new pc.

I have used up so much time in this matter I think I will just start and type my pages again on wordpad or notepad, and the moment I complete one page, print it and I won't mind whether or not it is later lost!

11. 2014/07/01
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

12. 2014/07/01
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

I have been using Office 2007 with Win 8.1. No problems so far.

Applications would only create temp files for their own use & delete them after use [hopefully]. You can't open most of them or make sense of them. So nothing to worry about that.

You don't access Word 2007 from WordPad. You can open the files created in Word 2007 in WordPad. Select the word file in Windows Explorer & press right click. A menu would open. Select Open With & select WordPad from it. If WordPad is not an option, select More Options & select WordPad. See if it works.

13. 2014/07/03
    Beach Boy

Well, I have checked the links from Retiredlearner and I've looked into WordPad, but still have not found my lost 8 pages. In WordPad about 6 documents came up from Word 2007 which I can access from both programs... but what I'd like is to find my lost 8 pages if possible. Thanks much for your help so far..