1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Microsoft May Need to Delay Windows XP Death

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by James Martin, 2013/10/26.

1. 2013/10/26
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member Thread Starter

2. 2013/10/27
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member

I was in our local hospital ER for X-rays on a dislocated finger just 5 weeks ago. Every computer screen I saw was XP. Two years ago, I has an angioplasty op at a much bigger city hospital. Every patient room had an XP terminal. Same at another hospital in Everett, in a similar timeframe, where my wife had rotator cuff surgery.

All I can think is that these big users of XP have their own in-house IT departments and they can work around XPs limitations. My GP has switched to an Apple system and no longer has terminals in the examining rooms.

I'm still running XP at home. It was also on my wife's ASUS net-book. She accidentally gave that machine a 10-hour bath in Pinot Grigio while it was powered up. She's now using an iPad! Funds don't permit a new computer for me at present, so I'll probably upgrade to Win7. The Uograde Advisor says it feasible with just a couple of changes to other programs.

Last edited: 2013/10/27

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/10/27
    James Martin

Would it be possible to have up-to-date servers and safely run XP terminals behind said servers after XP is officially retired?

5. 2013/10/27
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I wonder whether the hackers will worry about XP at all. They'll be too busy trying to hack W7 & 8 & 8.1.
    You never seem to hear about users of W98/ME/2000 having problems - or are they extinct? Neil.

6. 2013/10/27
    James Martin

It wouldn't surprise me at all if some people are still surfing the web with outdated operating systems.

Check this article out...

If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It: Ancient Computers in Use Today

Excerpt from article...

A recent federal review found that the U.S. Secret Service uses a mainframe computer system from the 1980s. That system apparently works only 60 percent of the time. Here’s hoping that uptime statistics are better for the ancient minicomputers used by the U.S. Department of Defense for the Minuteman Intercontinental Ballistic Missile system, Navy submarines, fighter jets, and other weapons programs. Those systems, according to the consultants who help keep them going, will likely be used until at least the middle of this century.

Sounds frightening.

7. 2013/10/28
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

There's no need to delay WinXP "death ", it has been delayed way too long as it is.

As I noted previously, companies that have Custom Support agreements can still get critical issues fixed by Microsoft - for a price (rumored to be $200 per PC).

Read: Microsoft will craft XP patches after April '14, but not for you

Arie,
  8. 2013/10/28
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Yes, dead & buried. Desktop Operating System Market Share

Windows 2000 is only registering at 0.03%.

Arie,
  9. 2013/10/28
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member

As long as my system runs like it does today, I really don't give a rats about updates and improvements. I quit taking the MS auto updates 2 years ago and everything still runs just fine. If anyone want to infiltrate my data, they'll die of boredom. I agree with Neil, the bad guys are too interested in hacking the new stuff to bother with us.

Why should I have to spend money to add to Ms's profits for something I don't need or want to spend money on? The only reason I ended up with XP is that it was the only OS available when I bought my last computer. When (more probably IF) I buy another one, I'll go looking for the last W7 boxes and tell Microsoft Updates to stick it where the sun don't shine.

A pox on Gates and his successors. Windows 3.0 was just fine for us troglodytes!

Last edited: 2013/10/28
  10. 2013/10/28
    lincolnp

lincolnp Inactive

no need to give the system an update if it works perfect unless you want try out the new one.

11. 2013/10/28
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member

Lincoln:

Glad to see someone with a similar philosophy. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Perhaps "perfectly" is an overstatement on any MS system, no matter how many "upgrades" they do. "Adequately" is fine with me.

I'd estimate that about 30% of the updates over the years I've had XP have caused problems.

12. 2013/10/29
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Microsoft security research paints bleak picture for XP users

13. 2013/10/29
    James Martin

On my computer, XP is a dog to update after a clean install. Updates that used to be second nature have become a pill to deal with.

I honestly think Microsoft is purposely souring the milk in order to get people off of XP and onto something newer.

I hope they don't treat Windows 7 that way in the not-to-distant future.

14. 2013/10/30
    SpywareDr

15. 2013/10/30
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I have XP service packs on disks. The only reason I keep them is one of my customers runs a karaoke business and refuses to upgrade. But after 04-08-14 I do not think it will matter. That is why I upgraded my 13 year old desktop computer from XP Pro to Win 7 Ult on 11-12-2009.

16. 2013/11/07
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Here's a valid example of why to not get rid of XP:

My brother is a doctor and his office's main computer runs XP and patient mgmt-billing software. This type of software is proprietary, not for the home user. It gets auto updated insurance codes and fees. It costs a little over $20,000 US. This comp is used solely for the purpose of patient mgmt. The comp is about 7 years old and it would benefit to get a newer faster computer. If I setup a new computer that has Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, he would have to purchase a new version of the patient mgmt software at its current price of about $25,000 US.

Thus I will get him a new system and load XP and the patient software he already owns.

17. 2013/11/07
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Tony, is the software DOS based and or was it "old" before he managed to get it to run on XP?

Odds are the newer version of the software has tons of new features he may or may not need. It can't probably do simple things like email the patients that the older one can't....

The first of two software companies I work far started with a DOS based version and was for a long time the nations best selling software in it's proprietary field. When I worked there, Win 98 was the most popular OS.... They developed a Windows based version and eventually had to force their clients to upgrade. But they did it in a way that didn't cost the clients a new purchase price.

18. 2013/11/07
    SpywareDr

If you have Windows XP machines operating on your business' network after April 2014, the month when Microsoft will stop supporting the XP operating system, you will no longer be compliant with Payment Card Industry (PCI) standards or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).

19. 2013/11/07
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

There is no specific rule stated in HIPPA that makes XP non-compliant. There are many interpretations of HIPPA rules as a result of MS announcing end-of-support for XP. Final say of HIPPA rules comes from judges if interpretation of the rules are ever in question. I've researched attorneys' viewpoints on HIPPA-XP and have found nothing that clearly states that XP will be non-compliant. I have found many articles that state XP will be non-compliant and most of that news is originated by vendors and tech people who stand to gain immensely when upgrading medical practices' hardware and operating systems.

My brother's system does not do payment card processing, thus it's of no concern. He's slowly moving over to a cloud based service anyway. The current software is made for XP.

If his attorney tells him he must upgrade then I'll install Windows 7 and run the med software in XP Mode.

20. 2013/11/07
    SpywareDr

What will the damages be if patients identities are stolen?

--

Unsupported and unpatched environments are vulnerable to security risks. This may result in an officially recognized control failure by an internal or external audit body, leading to suspension of certifications, and/or public notification of the organization’s inability to maintain its systems and customer information.

Growing HIPAA Threat -- Ignore Windows XP at Your Own Peril

Running Windows XP means you are non-compliant and open to liability

HIPAA Security Rule

Summary of the HIPAA Privacy Rule

Last edited: 2013/11/07
  21. 2013/11/07
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

A lot of physicians do not know the meaning of a secure website. Doctors and their assistant's just start entering their patients information electronically with total abandonment. Every Drs. office I've been to are still running Win XP. I am starting to become a bit concerned with regards to my personal information.