1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved "Manage Space" in Win7 Backup & Restore

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by chrisw, 2011/04/12.

1. 2011/04/12
    chrisw

chrisw Inactive Thread Starter

I have 2 ext HDs that I alternate weekly to store the latest Win7 System Image. At week 1, using Control Panel>Backup & Restore, I put an image on the J drive. When complete, I disconnect the J drive, and B&R looks like: http://img192.imageshack.us/i/screenshot001qk.jpg/

A week later, I plug in the K drive. Everything appears normal (eg, K shows in My Computer, and I can access it directly thru Windows Explorer), except that the B&R page still looks like that above (ie, it shows J, not K). Thus I cannot access "Manage Space" (grayed out), which I would use to delete the two week old image on K (before I created the new image). [This appears to be a better way to delete Win7-generated backups and images on ext drives; one should not use Windows Explorer for deletion else other problems can occur.]

So how can I get the B&R screen to show K (and thus be able to "manage space" on K) before I start deleting the old/creating the new image? There's got to be a way, but I haven't figured it out.

2. 2011/04/12
    ravn87

ravn87 Inactive

That's all you're trying to do is get the computer to read that Drive-k is plugged in and be recognized by the B&R component?

Does drive-K at least show up under devices in Win-Exp. when you click on "My Computer "?

Have you tried the Computer Manager? That's usually the first thing I go to:

- Close the B&R window
    - Right-click: My computer > Manage > left-pane: Device Manager > the very top of that long list > right-click: (your computer's name) > "Scan for hardware changes "
    - Check back in the B&R panel, see if it acknowledges that now.
    - Let us know the result :)

-----
    Not a pro or a site moderator, but that's one trick that always works for me. I usually do that when it comes to USB drives not showing up. :)

Last edited: 2011/04/12

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/04/12
    chrisw

ravn....

"Does drive-K at least show up ....." yes.

"Check back in the B&R panel, see if it acknowledges that now. " Nope.

Everything is normal except that the B&R screen doesn't recognize K.

5. 2011/04/13
    ravn87

ravn87 Inactive

Sorry for keeping you waiting. I don't personally have WIN 7 installed on my system yet. The trick I suggested always works for me on WinXP (yes, I know, not the same system in the least.).

I did some research for you, but all I can do is throw links at you. A site technician should come along pretty soon to help you a little more thoroughly. (Yes they do actually answer threads on here! :) )

So far what I've found:

* Even if your X-HdD isn't a West.Digi. MyBook, maybe there's a suggestion in there that could work for you. Look around first, but I would suggest waiting for the technician before you mess with any settings that could potentially damage you system set-up.

- Backup and restore doesn't recognize my external HDD
    - Windows 7 backup utility won't recognise my external drives
    - Windows 7 Not Recognizing External Hard Drive (Western Digital MyBook)
    - How To Use Backup and Restore in Windows 7
    - Windows XP Won't Recognize WD Ext Hard Drive [Solved/Closed]
    - Restoring from back-up made to external harddrive prior to harddrive replacement

6. 2011/04/14
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

My 2 cents worth - I think you are asking Windows Backup to do things it was not designrd to do . The drive letter of the original drive is likely to be recorded in the Registry and the applet is simply not designed to work with drives of alternating drive letters.

A workaround may be to change the drive letter of K to J and see if that works. I have several external hard drives which are only powered up one at a time and all have the same drive letter assigned.

7. 2011/04/14
    chrisw

ravn, Pete..........thanks, but nothing seems to work (even drive letter changes!). Today I disconnected K and plugged in J, and all's OK. I think Pete's right, Win7 B&R cannot work with two externals. I wish M$ had told us that ahead of time. Cheers, Chris