1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Lost Spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by brigarr, 2013/10/28.

1. 2013/10/28
    brigarr

brigarr Inactive Thread Starter

Hi,

I was emailed a spreadsheet with content already in it and I downloaded it and saved it to my desktop. I had been inputting my own information for the last week and saving it after each entry. Today I was in it but my computer starting acting up and things were moving slowly. I saved the spreadsheet again and clicked exit. After that my computer completely froze and I had to do a forced reset. When the computer restarted the spreadsheet was no longer on the desktop. When I searched for it by title it came up BUT when I opened it all of my information was gone. All that is left is the original information. It's like it reverted back to the original some how.

There are no previous versions.
    I searched different names.
    I checked Windows Explorer.
    I downloaded a file restorer trying to find it and nothing.

Any thoughts?

2. 2013/10/28
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Hi brigarr, welcome to the forum. :)

Have you considered doing a system restore just before the mishap occurred?

System restore is not supposed to affect files in any way, but it won't hurt anything to give it a try.

By the way, did you do any searches (using Windows search function) for files ending in .xls or .xlsx (depending on your version of Excel)?

Last edited: 2013/10/28

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/10/28
    brigarr

brigarr Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks for the idea. I'll have to try a system restore. It's worth a shot. I did search for files ending in .xls and .xlsx with no luck. It's like it vanished.

5. 2013/10/30
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

System restore doesn't monitor/backup/restore user files, so that won't work. Most likely you are SOL.

Arie,