1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

[Looking for a driver for mass storage win7 64bit]

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gghartman, 2012/09/02.

1. 2012/09/02
    gghartman

gghartman Inactive Thread Starter

not sure if this is where this post should go.

have a vostro 1520 that came with vista 32bit. i installed win7 64bit and all went perfectly but in device manager under other i am seeing mass storage controller that need a driver.

i have searched high and low and i cant find a driver so i have disabled it am i going to regret that ??? and if so does anyone know where i can get the win7 64bit driver for it ???

thanks.

2. 2012/09/02
    Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Try this download Slimdriverupdate here:
    http://www.driverupdate.net/
    Install it and see what that program find after a scan.
    Regards Tom

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2012/09/02
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

5. 2012/09/02
    gghartman

the one site is a pay site and i dont believe in that. actually windows is doing a huge download now maybe ill get lucky. i know when i tried the update on the device and searched the web it said it could find nothing. thats very unusal for windows 7 .

6. 2012/09/02
    SpywareDr

7. 2012/09/02
    gghartman

yep i tried dells page but honestly not sure what exactly the controller is talking about. i did the sata exe and that didnt do anything. so not sure what im looking for. did the 7 chipset and that didnt work. everything else display, wireless, nic, media reader works perfectly. 7 very good at finding the right drivers but cant find the controller one.

8. 2012/09/02
    Tom Emmelot

Hi the one of the left side of the screen is the free version of SlimDrivers and works fine, is on my PC and run it some times, 1 time in a month, and it is coming up with some updates some time, and you may decide if you want to install or not.
    Regards Tom

9. 2012/09/02
    SpywareDr

10. 2012/09/02
    gghartman

spywaredr

yep i looked at that also and it says unknown. all it says is mass storage controller but unknown maker.

i will look at that web site then if i dont have to pay. thanks.

thanks to all.

right now i have it disabled. hope it doesnt blow up on me.

11. 2012/09/02
    SpywareDr

12. 2012/09/02
    gghartman

yep and also when i do properties on it unknown manufacturer.

13. 2012/09/02
    SpywareDr

Do you have a "mass storage device" connected to the computer?

If not, and you uninstall|remove the device in Device Manager, does it reappear after you reboot?

14. 2012/09/02
    gghartman

i do not have anything attached to the machine. yes when i uninstall it and reboot it puts it right back.

puzzling huh.

15. 2012/09/03
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Intel Mass Storage Drivers (iastor)

Your motherboard will be made by Intel. It will have a chip for "Mass Storage "

They might be part of Dell's method of making the computer OEM (their Windows installation method) rather than a generic computer, ALTHOUGH Dell usually don't run proprietary drivers, you should be able to get them through Windows Update.

Try looking through the drivers on the Dell website first. You can find the chipset model number and check at Intel, but they will probably say you need to find the drivers at the OEM website (Dell).

If your computer is still under warranty. send Dell a query through their Support website.

A hint - if pay websites can assure they can get the drivers for you, you can find them yourself for free.

Matt

16. 2012/09/03
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

I see no point in using 3rd party programs to 'find' drivers. Most of these will not be up-to-date, and some even install/distribute questionable software (browser add-ons / toolbars).

Just go to your computer/motherboard manufacturers web site & download/install the drivers offered.

17. 2012/09/03
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

As Matt stated, (but I would say ONLY look at Dell for your drivers).

Dell's Drivers & Downloads site has all the drivers you need.

If you don't know which to choose, you can always just check all of them (you'll either get the latest update, or be informed that you already have the latest driver installed).

In your case I'd start with the Chipset driver, Serial ATA driver and a Removable Storage driver (if applicable).

18. 2012/09/05
    Tom Emmelot

Hello Arie,
    and then after a while MS byes SlimDrivers and then it is suddenly a good program! As Windows Defender! First check the program before you judgment on a program that does not come from MS! There is won toolbar you can install with it, thats is AVG but it is clear and you can unchecked that! I run it on several PC's and it works fine, also with backup and restore! I test and use 3rd party programs all the time, and i have never problems with spyware and viruses maybe because i use the 3rd party program from Trend Micro???
    And if so that we may not use 3rd party programs or advice them to use from Windows BBS say so then this was the last time i was at windows BBS!

Regards Tom

19. 2012/09/05
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

Microsoft won't buy SlimDrivers, so I don't see the point.

I never said that you can't use 3rd party programs. I said that I see no point in using them. Please don't twist my words!

20. 2012/09/05
    Tom Emmelot

Hello Arie,
    But if you are the Admin of a BBS and give a comment on a user that gives a advice to a other user, give that program a try, with the comment no use of trying that with also a meaning about the 3rd party program's gives all toolbars and browser add-ons i don't think you had to reply on my mail at all without looking at that program! And if a Admin sais no point of using 3rd party programs for looking at drivers it is something else if i was writing that! I think look first before you judge! The reason why there are programs like this (3rdParty) is because a lot of manufacturers let the people down, bad browser and surge pages and so on. This program was distributed by a PC magazine in Holland "PC Active" and they test the program's before they advice it to you!!!
    So if you say "No point" of using them it is completely differend if i say so!
    Hope you understand my point.

Regards Tom