1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Long long pauses printing PDF documents

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, 2013/08/28.

1. 2013/08/28
    Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Using Windows 98, XP, Vista, and 7 and two HP Laserjet 5 printers on a network connection with duplexers.

This problem goes back to about fifteen years and has followed this printer and its twin through scores of computers. I've owned two of these printers since they were new and had them connected to twenty or more computers and both give the same problem. When printing a PDF, there are long pauses between pages where the printer displays "PROCESSING JOB ". This printer is rated twelve pages a minute and when printing a Word or other document, holds true to the twelve pages per minute; but, when printing any PDF, there are long pauses between pages.

I printed a 137-page manual last night and what should have taken fifteen minutes or less, actually took over four hours.

Can someone explain to me why this problem exists?

I'm printing another copy of that same document right now and from 10:39 AM to 10:46 AM put out twelve pages and from 10:46 AM to 11:04 AM, the printer hasn't put out even one page; but, it will continue -- eventually. And maybe some time this afternoon, it will finish.

2. 2013/08/28
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/08/28
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Wow. 15 year old printers. Hats off to you Alex. Anybody else would have gone through at least 3 printers by now.

5. 2013/08/29
    retiredlearner

We've gone through 6 in 8 years. 2xHP, 3xEpson and 1Canon. Currently using 2 HP's.
    They're cheaper to replace ink jet printers rather than renew print heads when they wear out.:eek:
    I'd like to get some software for the Epson MFC's as they still scan OK. Neil.

Last edited: 2013/08/29
  6. 2013/08/29
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I think the problem is a pdf page is seen as an image rather than text. And images always take longer to print.

That said, if not already, you might try Foxit Reader. I find it better and faster than Adobe Reader.

Bill,
  7. 2013/08/29
    retiredlearner

I agree Bill. Foxit does it for me without delays - and I do print a lot of manuals and wear out print heads. ;) Neil