1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Logmein-do you know when your computer is being accessed

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by pammy2301, 2006/08/25.

1. 2006/08/25
    pammy2301

pammy2301 Inactive Thread Starter

I installed logmein last week so my laptop could be cleaned remotely by someone who knew what they were doing. My computer is on their logmein a/c complete with my user name and password. Do I know when my computer is being monitered or accessed by them? Also I share an internet connection network? with my housemate, can their computer be accessed as well? I have logmein disabled at the moment. I'm quite happy for it to remain on his logmein a/c as long as I know when my computer is being accessed.

2. 2006/08/25
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello pammy,

Can't answer your specific question because I'm not familiar with LogMeIn.

Looking for a FAQ page on their site https://secure.logmein.com/go.asp?page=home did find that they have a Forum http://forum.logmein.com/ and got this message:
    Keep checking the site.

LogMeIn sounds like a 3rd party substitute for XP's Remote Assistance, and when running Remote Assistance, the remote system has to be invited in for each session and cannot access your system w/o you knowing.

Whether LogMeIn works this way I don't know for sure, but basic security would dictate that it would.

Regards - Charles

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/08/25
    pammy2301

pammy2301 Inactive Thread Starter

thankyou

Thanyou Charles
    Yes I went to Logmein forums first, been a couple of days now. I guess I'll have to just keep trying. Thankyou very much for trying to help.

5. 2006/08/31
    siena

siena Inactive

Hi Pammy!

You definitely do know when Logmein is accessing your system; a small window (about a quarter of the width of your sceen wide and a ninth tall) appears in the top right corner of your desktop. It says "this computer is being remote controlled by (the address of the controlling computer)" to let you know whats going on. If Logmein didn't have this their software would be classified as spyware, but since they're up front about it everything is okay. And about your other question, logging into a computer using logmein gives you access to a computer just as if you were sitting at it, so if you have shared information between your computer and another than conceivably yes you could access the information on the other computer by connecting to yours. But, the logmein website doesn't save the password needed to access your computer on any other computer, so I strongly doubt that this person could access yours, and I definitely know that you would be aware of them doing such a thing.

6. 2006/08/31
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello siena and welcome to the Board :)

Thanks for the info, I thought something like that would be the case, otherwise I would have seen complaints on security sites about LogMeIn long ago.

Regards - Charles