1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Local Area Connection (LAN) deleted

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hedmaaw, 2004/04/19.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/04/19
    hedmaaw

hedmaaw Inactive Thread Starter

Windows XP o.s

I clicked on the double computer icon on my taskbar and opened up the network and dial-up connection.

I then accidently deleted the LAN icon/connection. How can I create a new Lan icon/connection?

thanks

P.S My computer will not restore before the date this was done because someone switched it of in the middle of a system restore. So I'll need an alternative to a system restore to fix the LAN problem.
    Thanks

2. 2004/04/19
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Control panel>network connections>create network connection

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/04/22
    hedmaaw

I followed your instructions; but this only succeeded in creating a copy of the existing dial up connection, not a LAN connection.
    Then when I click on this copy or the original dial up icon, a box appears which says:

“Error connecting to BTOW 2
    Opening port
    Error 633: The modem (or other connecting device) is already in use or not configured properly.â€

BTOW is my ISP

5. 2004/04/22
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

The wizard that runs when you create a new connection will create either a dial-up or a LAN connection, and all I can figure is that you made the wrong choices. Try running it again. If no joy, maybe go to device manager, locate the network adapter and remove, then reboot.

6. 2004/04/22
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

Delete connection 2. Reboot with modem off (or unplugged) When the XP splash screen comes up, connect the modem. XP should automatically detect the LAN and recreate the connection. If you want the icon to show, make sure the box is checked for it in Network (Control Panel) "Local Area Connection Properties "

Or, from "My Network Places" choose "create a new connection" and follow the prompts for broadband (always on).

HTH
    Johanna

7. 2004/04/23
    hedmaaw

Lan connection Deleted

Thanks for replying

unfortunately I've tried all the suggestions and still can't fix it.

This problem relates to the problem I posted under the title "Internet & Restore Problems ". I also tried all the suggestions for that too.

If I reload Windows XP O.S, Will this sort my problem out? If it will is it simply a case of running the Windows XP CD and following the instructions.

Thanks

8. 2004/04/23
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Other thread.

Reinstalling would most likely repair what is broken but connection would still need to be set up as well as reapplying windows updates, and there is the risk of personal data loss. I would first try removing and reinstalling the networking services first. Control panel>add/remove programs>add/remove windows components button on the left side. Uncheck networking services and OK. Go back in and check it and OK. May be prompted for XP CD. Try creating another LAN connection. If you do reload windows, backup data first. Should be backed up anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.