1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Live Mail (hotmail) - new format

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by stelliger, 2015/10/19.

1. 2015/10/19
    stelliger

stelliger Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I'll start out by saying I HATE the new format.

No, not because "it's new, you'll get used to it." Rather, there are a number of issues I find problematic. Not the least of which is the way the messages are displayed with HUGE fonts explaining from whom the message is, whilst everything else is shrunk into obscurity. Also the spacing and the fact you can only view about 4 headers at a time.

That mini-rant out of the way... is there a way to revert to the old version? Or maybe change the display settings in a way which makes the new version more viewable? Is there any chance MS will be improving it or are we stuck with this for the foreseeable future?

Oddly enough, the mobile version changed, too, and looks more like the desktop version SHOULD look, with many headers viewed concisely. Although on the mobile you have to pan around, now, to see the whole page, which makes it also inferior to the previous mobile version...

I'm surprised not to see more about this change (simple google search seems to pull up discussions of a change from a couple years ago)

2. 2015/10/20
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi stelliger, You don't state what OS you are using?? Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/10/22
    stelliger

Hi, Neil.

I've had this problem in Win7 as well as an older computer still on XP. So unless there's something unexpectedly different in the way 10 lays out the page, it's a problem inherent in the website.

5. 2015/10/22
    retiredlearner

6. 2015/10/22
    stelliger

My interface looked quite a bit different; perhaps because I browse into the hotmail portal via the website. But the settings for outlook.live.com don't seem to include anything to adjust font sizes and list options; just pane options and themes.

7. 2015/10/22
    retiredlearner

8. 2015/10/22
    stelliger

I appreciate it, but that not only seems limited to the "Live Mail" app and not the website portal, it seems to be a global font size option, not a way to change the relative font sizes in the lists, or a way to change the amount of info or the large space in between.

I'll go through the replies to see if there's anything else which still might be helpful in the discussion, to my particular issue.

If you (or anyone) wants a screenshot of what I find so annoying in the new hotmail website, I'd be glad to supply one.

9. 2015/11/02
    Pan Skrzetuski

Pan Skrzetuski Inactive

I am in the exact same situation.

I use the html5 web page version of outlook/hotmail/windows mail. I don't want notifications, I don't want to cache my emails locally...

The new design is bad on pc, since the fonts and spacing are stupidly large, but it has made mobile use almost impossible. And there is no option to change the view.

I have never wanted to switch to gmail, but this might make me do it. Gmail has a functional webapp and they have view options that allow for more compact views.

I wonder if this is MS finally admitting that their outlook userbase is mostly 65 year olds who can't read normal text sizes...

10. 2015/11/02
    retiredlearner

Last edited: 2015/11/02
  11. 2015/11/03
    Pan Skrzetuski

Pan Skrzetuski Inactive

The first link "Change the default font size..." is referring to the desktop Mail client. I am talking about the webmail page - outlook.live.com

The second option is not a solution at all. I know how to change web page scaling with ctrl+/ctrl-. The problem is font and spacing on desktop. If I make the page small enough for all the information I want to see, it is too hard to read the text.

Finally, neither of those options do anything for the mobile site which is the biggest problem. Even with message preview turned off I can only see 4-5 emails in a single view and I can't see the folders at the same time.
    Basically I need to perform 2-3 extra actions to see the same information that used to be presented by default on the mobile version of windows.live.com

12. 2015/11/03
    retiredlearner

Hi Pan Skrzetuski, Welcome to WindowsBBS. :) Please realize you are piggybacking on stelliger's Thread. I've run out of ideas as I do not use WLM or Outlook or Hotmail these days.
    I use Mozilla Thunderbird email (10 years) and have gmail as my server. I haven't experienced any font problems so I will defer to other BBS aides who may be able to assist/fix your problems. ;) Neil.

13. 2015/11/03
    Pan Skrzetuski

Pan Skrzetuski Inactive

Thank you, Neil. I appreciate it. I understand that many people have other methods of using their email and my problem may not be a common issue.