1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Linking Skydrive with MS Office

Discussion in 'Web Applications & Cloud' started by g.watson, 2012/07/19.

1. 2012/07/19
    g.watson

g.watson Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi.
    On my old PC, I somehow long ago found a way to include Skydrive in the options (like Desktop, Documents, Computer resources, Network resources, etc.) for opening and saving Office documents, but I simply can't remember how I got there. I'm now building a "new" (well, fairly new...) PC after the old one died, and I can't find a way to do this. I've tried adding the Skydrive URL to Network Resources, but it won't accept that, tells me it's invalid, even though it's just a standard URL like any other (and just like one of the examples offered by the Add Network Resources wizard). I can access Skydrive separately with no problem, so I'm assuming it's not a firewall issue.
    Any advice on how I might get this useful option set up again?

2. 2012/07/19
    MitchellCooley Lifetime Subscription

MitchellCooley Inactive

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2012/07/20
    g.watson

Hi Mitchell and thanks for advice. Delay in replying due to timezones.

1. Your second link: yes, I'd found that page and tried it, but the app refused to install, gave me a message instead "Not a valid Win32 application" (or words to that effect - my system is in Italian). Including when trying logged in as Admin with all privileges.

2. Your first link: Office doesn't offer me the option "Save to web ". The closest I can get to that is the generic "Save as ", and then in the "Save as..." window, on the left-hand side is a vertical column with options like Recent documents, Desktop, Documents, System resources and Network resources, again translated from Italian. (This is where I used to find SkyDrive listed, both for opening and saving.) The closest I can get to SkyDrive seems to be "Network resources "; if I select that, I see all the usual resources of my tiny network (just two PCs, mine and my wife's), which now include (didn't before) "My Websites on MSN ". But selecting "My websites on MSN" starts the searching flashlight, and after a while a long message to the tune of "Documents in this folder are not available... etc. ". Even whether I am separately logged in to SkyDrive or not.

As I mentioned above, I've tried adding the SkyDrive URL to Network Resources (logged in as Admin), but it is rejected as invalid. (Both possible SkyDrive URLs, are rejected, by the way: https://skydrive.live.com/ and https://login.live.com/.) I don't know where the "My websites on MSN" came from, but it doesn't seem to be valid anyway.

5. 2012/07/20
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Not compatible with Windows XP:

Arie,
  6. 2012/07/20
    Arie

Which version of Office.... That functionality is found under Save & Send in Office 2010.

Arie,
  7. 2012/07/20
    g.watson

Hi Arie and thanks for input. (Is Malta burning up in the heatwave like Italy?)

I'm on Office 2007, and have been since about 2007, I think. Certainly I was on Office 2007 when I had SkyDrive among my opening and saving options. Just wish I could reconscruct where the heck I found the way to do it, but it was a coupla years ago and nothing I've tried now seems to work. The only difference between this and my old system is that before I was on XP Home SP3, and now I'm on XP Pro SP3, which in theory ought to be better, if there's any difference at all.

I don't have the option "Save and Send ". I have straight Save, Save as... (but with no sub-option "Send "), or Send (sub-options email, email PDF, email XPS, by fax).

8. 2012/07/20
    Arie

Arie,
    g.watson likes this.
  9. 2012/07/20
    g.watson

I guess that solves it! What a pity - it was a pretty useful feature. Thanks anyway for saving me any further frustrating experimentation.