1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Lenovo M92Z failing to pick up OS

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by muddyfox, 2016/08/25.

1. 2016/08/25
    muddyfox

muddyfox Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I'm having a problem with one of our Lenovo M92Z machines (working in a school).

If the PC is started by WOL or pressing the on button a single line repeating message pops up black background white text saying the OS can't be found.

Unplugging the lead and then plugging it back in live again and the PC boots to Windows 7 fine.

Any suggestions please?

P.S. Attached image shows error 1962 - the machine isn't touch screen but the students persist in touching it!

Attached Files:

2. 2016/08/25
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi muddyfox. I would turn off the machine, take out the battery, unscrew the hard drive cover and reseat the hard drive in the laptop to rule out a loose connection.

If reseating the hard drive does not solve the problem then this could indicate a hard drive failure. To rule out a hard drive failure, run SeaTools for Windows and see if the hard drive passes the Long Generic Test.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/08/26
    muddyfox

I'm most grateful for your prompt and very helpful response @Evan_Omo I'll give that a go.

N.B. For the record as my OP didn't make it clear the machine is one of those All in One PCs not a laptop. Can't say I'm a big fan of All in One computers!

5. 2016/08/31
    muddyfox

Sadly the suggested hasn't resolved the issue. The lenovo has a screw-less HD holder but I reseated it anyhow. Ran both the light and full test with Sea Tools which came up OK. It seems to be something that happens on WOL?

6. 2016/08/31
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Have you updated the laptops BIOS to the latest version? Are there any settings in the laptops BIOS that relate to wake up options for the hard drive?

7. 2016/09/01
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

This a Lenovo problem which Googling shows can be connections or SATA cable depending on the Model. Check Lenovo Forum for unhappy campers. Has one of the students mucked up the WOL setup?

8. 2016/09/01
    muddyfox

Good thinking @retiredlearner and @Evan Omo The BIOS is locked down so the little dears can't get into it though. Plus this machine is well out of its 3 year warranty now but when it w in warranty I'd had an incident where I'd had a warranty call out one one of thes 21" all in one machines and the visiting engineer went ballistic because I'd updated the BIOS. He advised not doing that. Seemed strange to me as with other brands I have routinely updated the BIOS as the releases come out. I'll do a search of the Lenovo forums as you suggest. Can't say I'm inclined toward purchasing this particular brand in the future as a result.