1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Laptop turns on then shuts down

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices' started by waynester048, 2013/06/13.

1. 2013/06/13
    waynester048

waynester048 Inactive Thread Starter

Hello, I have a HP Pavillion dv9815nr. I have had it nearly 5 years, and it has been a very good pc. It has a AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60 processor. It is plugged in and used like a desktop. Rarely has it been moved. I do not even keep the battery in it. About 2 1/2 years ago, I replaced the hard drive. I have Win Vista on it.

Last Saturday night, I was on a newspaper website. I had about maybe 3 windows of firefox open. There are always these videos and pictures and stuff, and you often hear the fan speed up when on sites like these.

The fan had sped up quite a bit, and I went to close the window I had just finished reading. Just then the entire screen went "jumbled ". It looked kind of like bricks on a wall. I could see nothing to do a shut down or reboot, so I just had to cut power. Then after a while I tried to turn it back on.

It just comes on a few seconds, I hear the fan, then it goes off. It does this over and over, until finally I just turn off the power.

So I figured next time, if it came on, I needed to be ready to back up some things. I was busy a few days and did not turn it on until today, but it still does the same thing, just on a few seconds and then goes off, and does that over and over.

I would like some opinions as to what the problem might be, and if it is fixable, and how to proceed. My feeling is that something got too hot and maybe something burned up, such that it cannot start up. I didn't smell anything, and I got down close and sniffed around it that first time.

If it is a dead laptop, I believe I will be able to remove the hard drive and get stuff off of it with a Sata dock I have, so I am not really worried about the data recovery at this point. I just need to know, is this laptop a lost cause?

2. 2013/06/13
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi waynester048. Do you get any picture on the screen when the computer turns on for a few seconds?

Can you go into the laptops BIOS or does the computer just shut off completely?

Try unplugging the power cable to the laptop, hold down the power button for 10 seconds, then plug the power cable into the laptop again and see if it successfully powers on.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/06/13
    waynester048

Hi, and thanks for responding. Nothing comes on the screen. I think that is more because it is just not on long enough for anything to come on the screen.

I tried your suggestion and it still did the same thing. Lights come on, I hear the fan, then off. Then it tries again, over and over until I shut off the power. It is plugged into a power center. I just turn off its switch.

Thanks.

5. 2013/06/13
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

If you have an external monitor then you could try plugging that into the laptops VGA or HDMI port and see if you can get any picture on the screen.

If you still are not getting any picture then you will most likely have to get the laptop replaced since I suspect the laptop has a major hardware problem.

6. 2013/06/14
    waynester048

I made a few tests this evening, removing one stick of ram, trying each in slot 1 and then in slot 2, and also removing the cmos battery for a minute and putting it back. But nothing made any difference. I figure it is pretty much a goner. I have removed the hard drive. I have also pretty much picked out my next laptop.

I will leave this forum open for a few days, in case anyone else has any ideas.

7. 2013/06/14
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

A whole lot of work in some instances I know, but, you could try replacing the thermal grease between the CPU and heat sink.

Working, with Windows installed, it's probably worth $200-$300, depending on how clean (unscratched) it is.

8. 2013/06/25
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

If it doesn't work with a separate monitor then the gpu or cpu is fried. Try blowing out the dust in the fans and inside the laptop, test again with a monitor. If laptop runs but no picture, then the gpu is fried.