1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Laptop, no power and nothing starts...

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices' started by wildfire, 2011/01/29.

1. 2011/01/29
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old Thread Starter

Hi guys,

A friend has given me a laptop to look at (unfortunately we have no history :()

Problem: The laptop does not show any signs of life whatsoever. We've tested the PSU with another compatible laptop and tried other PSU's with no luck.

I'm hoping it's as simple as the battery being discharged and the power connector for the laptop being broken. Before I delve in with my hammer ;) does anyone else have other ideas?

2. 2011/01/29
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Wildfire, I think your best bet will be a broken/damaged power input connector as they seem to be very prone to abuse/getting knocked. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/01/29
    wildfire

Neil, my thoughts too (crossed fingers). Unfortunately we don't know if the battery was working the laptop before it drained or if there was another problem.

Anyways I've had far too much beer tonight (morning :eek:) so the hammer will stay safely packed away until tomorrow :)

5. 2011/01/29
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Can the laptop run without a battery installed? Read in the manual. If there are no other options, try it.

A basic reset for laptops is to disconnect all power sources (battery and charger), then hold the power button down for 30 seconds (make it a minute or so). Edit: Probably won't help if no LEDs light up.

Matt
    [Glad you held off with the hammer until after your second post wildfire :D]

6. 2011/01/30
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I thought Scots touched nothing but the golden nectar :)

7. 2011/01/30
    wildfire

Needs must Pete, You can't pick up a decent malt at that time of the morning. So had to start on the stuff I keep for visiting peasants ;)

Suffering for it now now though so the laptop's safe for another day. I'll post my findings tomorrow.

@mattman

Your suggestions were the first things I tried Matt with no luck and yes just to confirm there are no LED's lighting up at all.

8. 2011/01/31
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

My Compaq Presario 1700 (2001Model) works directly off the charger with the battery removed. There are no lights showing until I push the Start button, then only the Power LED is lit.
    Have you tried gently wiggling the charger connector plug while pushing the Start button?
    I have seen reports of guys repairing the connector block - but you need to dismantle the laptop to carry out this operation.
    Your friend didn't spill his beer over it before asking you to have a look at it?
    Cheers Neil.:eek:

9. 2011/02/01
    wildfire

Thanks guys, problems resolved.

The actual connector wasn't damaged but the internal restraining plastic rails to hold it in place had snapped so it had been pushed back just enough not to make a connection. A carefully placed and secured (fireproof ;)) piece of foam holds everything together.

After looking inside though it was a very flimsy design. 2 1*3mm (max) plastic strips off the base to hold it in place :eek:

10. 2011/02/02
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Good work. One laptop saved from the hammer....

11. 2011/02/02
    wildfire

:confused: that's what I used to open the case Matt. What would you have used? ;)