1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved laplink?

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by XP dummy, 2017/04/11.

1. 2017/04/11
    XP dummy

XP dummy Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Not sure if this is in the correct place, but...............I need to transfer data from a Windows Vista 64 computer to a new computer with Windows 10. Is Windows EasyTransfer in W10 an alternative? I've never used that.
    Is Laplink's PCMover Ultimate 10 the best option for a challenged computer user? It also says 1 time use. Does that mean when the transfer is complete, it can't be used again? What can the supplied cable be used for after the transfer? Please forgive the rookie questions.
    I forgot to mention that I'm using a 500GB external harddrive using the Windows back up utility for backups if that is an option. Thanks.

Last edited: 2017/04/11
  2. 2017/04/11
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

It has been years since I used Easy Transfer so I cannot say.

But I will say I find it easiest to either simply copy the files over via the network, or to temporarily attach the drive from the old computer to the new computer as a secondary (NOT boot) drive, then copy the files over.

If you are trying to copy installed programs over, it really is best to "install" the latest versions of those programs fresh on the new system. You can still copy the old "data" files (files created by those program) over.

Does the old Vista system still work? If it does, you can copy (using "copy and paste" or "drag and drop") your data files to your external drive, then attach the external drive to the new computer and copy them to the new computer.

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/04/11
    XP dummy

Thanks for the reply. The old computer is still in use, and the new one still in the box. I plan on using the old monitor, so I can only have one operational at a time. I was looking for the most simple way of transferring the user accounts, e-mail accounts, and data files. Your suggestion on the programs is what I was going to do. I think I can have only one connected to the internet at a time. Is using the laplink software going to be the easiest?

5. 2017/04/11
    Bill

Some else will have to answer you about Laplink. But it is my opinion that trying to "transfer" user and email accounts from Vista to Windows 10 is likely to cause more problems than it is worth. If you were going from W8 to W10, it would be fairly easy. Even W7 to W10 caused problems for many - especially on older W7 systems.

If you have a router (and everyone should) can have more than one computer connected to the Internet at once. If you use dial-up, then no.

Note that most late model TVs support computer inputs.

You might look into having a local shop do this for you. There's no shame in that. You will just need to remember to change all your passwords when you get it back.

Bill,
  6. 2017/04/11
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I used the Easy Transfer cable link to transfer XP to W8.1 on my wife's comp, but I seem to remember that it doesn't work in W10. Bill's suggested method is the best.

7. 2017/04/16
    XP dummy

After much thought, I believe that both you and Bill are right. Vista is still running on the old computer, so if I have this thought out right, I can simply copy the "users" file from the old computer to my external hard drive. Then simply drag and drop them from there into the new one in the same "users" place and choose to keep these files if asked? That should transfer all of the user accounts with all of the associated pictures, documents, desktops, favorites, etc. of each to the new one. No program files would move, but most probably wouldn't work with W10 and would have to be replaced anyway. I must be missing something as this seems too easy. Thanks for any replies.

8. 2017/04/16
    Bill

No that will not work. Simply copying the user files does not set up (register) those users in the Windows Registry. Now what you can do is create those users on the new computer, then copy the contents of their old Documents folder to the new Documents folders.

All your installed programs will have to be re-installed for the same reason - to have them properly set up in the new Registry.

Favorites can be exported from the old and imported into the new.

There just is not an easy way to do this because Vista is so old (over 10 years old!) and Windows 10 is 3 generations newer. That's probably why programs like Zinstall WinWin can charge $110 for their program.

I think you should abandon this idea and just start from scratch with W10. Get W10 all set up the way you want it, then copy your data files (documents, photos, etc.) over to the new machine. It will take some time, but your Vista system will still be there in the meantime, and as a backup too.

Bill,
  9. 2017/04/16
    XP dummy

Thanks for your input. I knew it sounded too easy! Here was my ultimate goal: put the old CPU in my wife's sewing room, and let her use it just to store her embroidery files with no connection to the internet. She would only need 1 user account, and virtually no 3rd party programs. No antivirus needed? She could download and scan any files she would put on there from the new CPU before she puts them on the old one. Does that sound too easy too? Thanks again. F

10. 2017/04/16
    Bill

With no Internet connection, she most likely does not need an anti-malware program running in real-time. But I still recommend having at least Malwarebytes Free installed for on-demand scanning. And to scan the device used to transfer files to that Vista machine before copying files to it.

Bill,
  11. 2017/04/16
    XP dummy

I wish I liked working on computers as much I like working on other things. Thanks for all of your input. I'm thinking that I can mark this thread as solved. F