1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

LAN problem

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by chuckmg, 2002/01/19.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/01/19
    chuckmg Contributing Member

chuckmg Inactive Thread Starter

We have a classroom with 14 computers running Win98. 3 of the computers can't see the instructor's computer, but the instructor's computer can see all computers. We've tried rebooting all. Any suggestions?

Chuck

2. 2002/01/21
    Mike Murley

Mike Murley Guest

Chuck

This is a Win 98 workgroup LAN?

Does the instructor's computer on the LAN see the 3 that can't see the instructor's computer? Can all the other student computers 'see' the three that can't see the instructor's computer? Can those three see the other computers on the workgroup?

1. Try logging off and logging on. Sometimes Win 98 will bypass the log on screen if there is only one identity on the computer and no log-on password - so it isn't logged on to the next work.

2. Try reconfiguring the network identities on thos e thre computers. Rename them and reenter the workgroup name. And make sure they are logged on!

3. Got firewalls? Try your local area security settings.

Mike Murley

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/01/21
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni

I'm going to throw a wild guess out here and say it's a typo on the workgroup name on those three machines.

5. 2002/01/21

Yes, Mike, its a Win98 workgroup LAN.

Wrt to the other points you and ssmith10pn made, am not in the classroom at present but
    ... the instructor's computer sees all three which seems to rule out firewall settings and workgroup name (although we did check the latter). We also not only logged off but rebooted ... to no avail. Don't remember if we could see any of the other computers from those 3. Will check as soon as we get back in the classroom.

Thanks to both of you.

Chuck

6. 2002/01/22
    Tekguy

Tekguy Guest

Hehehe

I have seen this alot. it is a common problem.

install netbeui on the 3 offending machines then remove it. I have found that this will alot of the time fix the problem.

Change the workgroup name to something other than workgroup.

Try: fundelshunt or smedilump or anything you want other than workgroup.

I have seen computers find each other when the workgroup is not called workgroup.

If all else fails, and I never like to say this: use netbeui.

For a peer to peer network your size you can get away with out to many problems...

Tek

7. 2002/01/22

Thanks, Tek.

We are already using NETBEUI. Will try you tactic of uninstalling and re-installing it. That may help. Don't think our work group name is workgroup, but will check again when I get back into the classroom.

Chuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.