1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

LAN port not recognised

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by rikki, 2015/12/29.

1. 2015/12/29
    rikki

rikki Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have a Pipo X7 mini-pc running Windows 8.1 with Bing. The Internet connection is via the LAN port. This has worked perfectly for many months. Now, all of a sudden and for no reason I can determine, Windows is failing to recognise the LAN port when it first boots. When I try to go on-line, it says I have no Internet connection. When I check, there is no sign of the LAN port in the adapter settings. If I reboot the computer, everything then works fine again.

In other words, when I first switch on the computer, no LAN port. When I reboot, it works like it should. So now I have to boot the computer twice, when before I only had to boot it once. As far as I know, nothing has been changed. I have not added or subtracted any software. I have not changed any settings. Windows seems to have just decided one day that it was going to make my life that little bit extra annoying.

Does anyone have an explanation for this behaviour? Is there any way I can get Windows to see my LAN port again the first time it boots, just like before? Thanks for any suggestions.

2. 2015/12/30
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Well, they do go bad on rare occasions.

Do you have any errors in Device Manager? Are there other computers on your network? Do they work okay?

The first thing I would do is try a different cable. Ethernet cables are critically important, but low-tech, inexpensive and not very robust. They can only take a limited amount of abuse, yanks, pulls, and trip-overs.

If connecting to a router (or switch), I would also try connecting your new Ethernet cable to a different port on the router. You might also reset your network - unplug power from them (and your computer too) for about 30 seconds. Then starting from the wall and connect the modem and wait for lights to settle down. Then plug in your router and wait for its lights to settle down. Then plug in your computer and boot it up.

Also make sure Windows is fully updated and the computer is clean of malware. If it is a bad Ethernet port, and your computer only has one, you may have go through an adapter, either wireless, or a USB to Ethernet adapter. Just make sure it is USB 3.0 and 1Gigabit (or 1000Mbps) for best performance and future proofing.

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/01/02
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Check the manufacturer Website for an available updated bios and also check for newest drivers/ firmware for the lan adapter..

5. 2016/01/06
    rikki

rikki Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I have been away for a few days but am now looking into this again.

The computer is a Pipo mini-pc. Others have reported similar issues. I have disabled everything having anything to do with power/sleep settings so that is not the problem.

I cannot find any updated BIOS or driver or firmware from this manufacturer. I don't think they are offering much support.

I have found some suggestions on an unofficial Pipo forum but do not yet know if they apply in this case. According to the suggestions, this might have something to do with some Windows MasterBrowser setting. I checked but the Registry setting for this does not seem to exist on my computer. The event log shows startup errors for a service that might be connected to my LAN port, but I don't really understand what it is saying. I see another service that could be related that is set to manual, but I don't really understand the relevance of this, if any, to my issue.

I am still looking into this. It doesn't help that the problem seems to occur randomly. Sometimes it works like it always used to. Most of the time it does not.