1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Keyboard shortcut mystery

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rikki, 2017/02/04.

1. 2017/02/04
    rikki

rikki Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Computer Experience:
    Keeps getting better
    I have several different computers and OS set-ups but my preferred system at the moment is Win 7 Home Premium with Windows Live Mail 2012 for popmail. This works fine on my older Acer but I have run into a mystifying problem after moving to an AMD Phenom machine.

For security reasons, I have Live Mail set to display emails in text mode only. A hot key (Shift-Alt H) lets me easily switch to HTML if needed. This works fine with the same keyboard on my Acer but I cannot get it to work at all on the AMD machine. I have tested and tried everything I can think of, but nothing makes a difference. All other hot keys work normally, including those that use the Shift-Alt combination. Only this one key does nothing.

I have checked the Region and Language settings, and also disabled the hot key for switching keyboards as I only use one. I have removed every background process I can find that might conceivably affect this. I have no macro or keyboard shortcut programmes installed. I have checked the Registry keyboard map and there is nothing there. No keys are being remapped.

When I run an on-line keyboard checker, it shows normal results if I press the Shift or Alt or H keys. It also works as it should with any combination of those keys, except the one I am having trouble with. If I press H, or Shift-H, or Alt-H, I get a key down result of 72, which is the correct code for the H key. But if I press Shift-Alt-H I get nothing. It doesn’t report any key down at all, but it does report a normal key up of 72 when I release the key. Everything else works normally, with all the key up and key down codes being correctly returned. Only this one combination does not work.

At this point I am stumped. I don’t know what to try next. If anyone else has an idea, I would sure appreciate some help. Thanks in advance.

2. 2017/02/05
    rikki

rikki Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Computer Experience:
    Keeps getting better
    I found the solution. A packet sniffer called Commview is the culprit.

3. to hide this advert.