1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Keyboard and mouse freeze after a few minutes

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by frank56, 2014/07/10.

1. 2014/07/10
    frank56

frank56 Inactive Thread Starter

I have a Dell Optiplex GX270 without the original Dell drive or software. It was working fine, until my dog tripped on the power cord,. Since than, both the keyboard and mouse freeze after a few minutes. If a program is running, like a virus scan, the task is always completed. I tried starting on safe mode, swapping keyboards and mouse, even swapping hard drives. I finally installed Ubuntu and even then the problem continued. I am installing Vista again, to see if I can pin point the problem to the mother board. I also did a memory test before on the ram memory, and it passed. Am I correct in assuming its a memory, bios or other problem with the Mother board ? I plan to add the other specification to my computer later, when I have it running long enough. Somthing else, even at start up sometimes mouse and keyboard freeze. After trying a few times I was able to start windows setup this time.

I forgot to mention I have Vista Home edition SP2. And I have PS2 mouse and keyboard, I just tried USB mouse and keyboard. They stay on about 3 minutes before they freeze,

Last edited: 2014/07/10
  2. 2014/07/10
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi frank56,
    When the dog tripped on the Power cord - did it disconnect the power to the comp?
    My thought would be possible circuit damage to the m/b.
    Have you used the keyboard and mouse in another comp to confirm they are OK? Neil.

frank56 likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/07/10
    frank56

Yes It did disconnect the power to the computer. But she also disconnected the mouse, and I foolishly reconnected with the power on. So today I went and bought two used usb keyboard and mouse. But I do not have another computer on which to try them out.

5. 2014/07/11
    retiredlearner

PS2 mouse reconnection while powered on would be a possible problem. USB should be hot swappable but if you plugged the power back in - did the comp have to be rebooted? Neil.

frank56 likes this.
  6. 2014/07/11
    frank56

Yes, I did have to reboot, very much like with the PS2 mouse and keyboard.

I will have to mark my post as resolved. I finally got an error message similar to, the computer was shutdown, due to thermal event. I then took a closer look at my board and CPU and after blowing the dust. I found 6 or more capacitors with tops bulging. As I understand it, that means they were shorted, and or defective. Also now, windows will refuse to boot. Thanks for your quick response Neil. My next step is another computer, or a used Motherboard. Frank

PS I dont know if the thermal event was the problem the whole time, and or the bad capacitors. Maybe I was wrong in assuming, the dog tripping on the power cord was the cause, Or I do not still know, if a thermal event can cause a mouse or keyboard, or both to freeze.

Last edited: 2014/07/11
  7. 2014/07/11
    retiredlearner

frank56 likes this.
  8. 2014/07/11
    frank56

I sure will check out your link, after this reply.

I went today to buy a used motherboard with matching processor this morning, and everything is working fine about 8 hr later. I made sure to check all the capacitors for bulging. And the board and processor were guarnteed to work for at least two weeks. :) Oh and that was $19 plus tax for both.