1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved KernelEx

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by smokinjoe, 2010/09/11.

1. 2010/09/11
    smokinjoe

smokinjoe Inactive Thread Starter

I ran across this a day or 2 ago. According to the website, "KernelEx is an Open Source compatibility layer with an aim to allow running Windows 2000/XP-only applications on Microsoft Windows 98 and Microsoft Windows Millennium operating systems. "

Anyone have any experience with this yet?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kernelex/

2. 2010/09/28
    Triger

Triger Inactive

Yeah, especially if you grab the latest version (4.5 rc4). The speed and stability it brings to a Windows 9x / ME system border on mind bending. Being able to run newer apps is just the icing on the cake. I sill reboot about every 3 days, but only out of force of habit.

Cheers
    Jake

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/10/18
    smokinjoe

smokinjoe Inactive Thread Starter

All I know is that I installed it and it works perfectly. I'm using it on a Win ME system and I installed Firefox 3.6.10 (supposed to run on XP or better) and it runs great!
    Also, I haven't had a crash in a month.

5. 2010/10/18
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

Thanks for the feedback! Please, use the thread tools to mark the thread as resolved.

6. 2010/10/19
    Glen108

Glen108 Inactive

Kernel ex file from source forge

Hello Again! I just saved the Kernel Ex File to my Documents. I went to open the file and received the message that I do not have MSLU (Miccrosoft Layer for Unicode) on my computer and suggested that I either download MSLU or install Kernel Ex without MSLU.

So I downloaded MSLU and also saved it to my Documents.
    When I opened it, it asked me where do I want to put the file on my computer after extracting it.
    I thought maybe in TOOLS. Any suggestions on this matter?
    Thanks,
    Glen108

Last edited: 2010/10/19