1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

keep losing my input in windows live mail

Discussion in 'Web Applications & Cloud' started by Geoff Hands, 2011/11/13.

1. 2011/11/13
    Geoff Hands Lifetime Subscription

Geoff Hands Well-Known Member Thread Starter

When composing a new e-mail message in Live Mail, we ( my wife suffers from this too, on a different machine with the same systems) keep losing what we have typed. Every time we look up at the screen to read what we have already written we find that the last few lines have disappeared, and as like as not, the last few words have been dropped into the middle of a previous sentence we typed. In fact my wife has gone back to snail mail in disgust...
    When I complained about this kind of error before, I was told that I must be pressing some keys accidentally ; I didn't think so - or if that is what I am doing, why doesn't it happen here in this message ?
    I wondered if it was the version of Word or whatvber, and it could do with an update or a Repair or something , but I can't find my way ionto Live Mail to find out ; in fact Office and Word are not even installed on the machine in question so it must be some stand alone part of Live Mail.
    Any suggestions for this problem, please ?

2. 2011/11/13
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I've seen that kind of thing happen on a laptop when someone accidently bumps the touchpad while they're typing. Doing so can immediately move the cursor to another part of screen . . . right in the middle of them trying to type a sentence. To counter this problem, many laptop makers are now including a key, button or some key combination to temporarily disable the touchpad.

If you're not using a laptop, please ignore this message? :)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/11/14

I admit that the problem is mainly - but not exclusively with laptops. I do get the problem to a small extent with my PC - and all three are running Windows 7. It was not and is not a problem with another laptop using Vista.
    Of course I have to admit that it maybe accidental contact on the touchpad, but that would not wipe out a couple of paragraphs already typed - which is what happened to my wife trying to send a long e-mail - and happened more than once. I even went and watched her, and it happened, and I couldn't see that she had touched anything except the ordinary letter keys...

5. 2011/11/14
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Ok, Geoff, I remember trying to assist you before with this and if you have positively ruled out human error then with such unusual behaviour my next step would be a malware check.

I'm not convinced it will help but it won't do any harm...

Read this post, then post the requested log(s) in the Malware and Virus Removal forum.

Post a link to this thread if you can.

6. 2011/11/14
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

For grins - plug in an external keyboard and an external mouse and see if the problem goes away.

Or, if the problem is massive - type in another app and copy and paste it your your out going mail...

7. 2011/11/14
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Steve, from what I've read this issue is happening on 3 separate computers, I doubt it's hardware related.

8. 2011/11/14
    Steve R Jones

Wildfire - Me thinks the same three computers are being used by the same users... And taking the touchpads etc out of the picture would be a good idea.

EDIT: Fixed type-o;)

9. 2011/11/14
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

I'm thinking along the same lines Steve, however Geoff appears convinced that's not the issue.

He did say the same problem occurs, though less often with his desktop.

Last edited: 2011/11/14
  10. 2011/11/14

I would like to try this but the three laptops in question don't have the right ports ( circular about the size of a pencil - maybe 6 pins and a peg ).

11. 2011/11/14

I have not overlooked this - in fact I have printed out the message - as something I will have to try if I don't find a simpler answer.

12. 2011/11/14
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Try USB Keyboards and Mice.

You now say 3 laptops, earlier it was suggested 2 and 1 PC. Is there any system you don't have this issue with?

13. 2011/11/14

I think that was a typo. But yes, I have a little notebook ( Windows 7) whch gives me no problems at all - but I don't do much typing on the keyboard there - mainly used for reading the newspaper and doing the crosswords. And whilst my fingers are too big for most keyboards apparently ( or I'm too clumsy) so that I always have to go back and do a few corrections, it seems that I don't hit the wrong keys so as to lose the page or whatever on that one.
    This correspoondence is being done on my PC which at the moment is behaving itself , and generally speaking does so - since the time mentioned earlier by Wildfire..

14. 2011/11/17
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

If you were to accidently press [Ctrl]+[A],

(which would highlight everything you were typing),

the next normal key touched would replace (erase) everything that was highlighted.

15. 2011/11/17

I only have four fingers and one thumb on each hand, and usually employ just one on each for typing, so this seems to me to be an extremely unlikely event !

However, this is the effect which sometimes happens ; at other times it is clear that the cursor has wandered off, so my typing goes in the wrong place.

btw I had both of these things happen whilst preparing this mesage, using my PC, so that I had to start all over twice.
    BTW I had b

Last edited: 2011/11/17
  16. 2011/11/17
    Steve R Jones

For grins - go to Control Panel->Mouse and look for the option "Hide pointer while typing" and uncheck it. Might not hurt to uncheck the "snap to" function too if it is enabled.

17. 2011/11/17
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

So it's not just a live mail issue then?

18. 2011/11/17

I've done all that on this PC, will then go and do it on the laptops - and will report how we are getting on with this reset.