1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Java Install failed, wizard interrupted..its killin me

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Maco88, 2013/08/10.

1. 2013/08/10
    Maco88

Maco88 Inactive Thread Starter

Have had this Java install issue for a while now and recently need to have it for a certain website, so I tried to install the latest version, but i keep getting the message "Installation Failed - The wizard was interrupted before Java 7 update 25 could be completely installed ".

There is no error code, just a checked box that says "Open Java Help" which if kept ticked and click on the "OK" box, takes you to the Java Help page, but there is nothing there that pin points why it is not completing, other than suggesting to uninstall and how to do it. I have gone over many links in a googles search but basically its all the same response, none of which have helped.

I am assuming there are some left overs of a previous version, however, I have tried Revo, Total Uninstall, COntrol Panel add/remove, and not one of these program removers picks up that "Java" is actually on the system, nothing appears, so i can't really uninstall something that does not show up.

Doing a search on "Java" showed up some bits and pieces which I manually deleted. There are some related or associated java file in Adobe Acrobat reader and Avast Antivirus, but they are in "Javascript" folders, so I don't think they have any bearing [I could be wrong].
    I have gone over everything i could think off, from running it in compatibility mode, to giving it admin privileges but still it failed to complete the install. The "Java" install logs are empty so i have no lead as to what is causing this.

I have also run "JavaRa" before each attempt of install. I have done the online and offline install method, still the same thing.

The only thing I can think of to do, is basically search for everything with the words "Java, jre. jdk" and delete it all , from any folders and search the entire registry and apply the same process.

Other than this I just dont know what else I can do.

Hopefully someone might have a hint or a solution I could try.

Thanks in advance

2. 2013/08/10
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Maco88. Try using the Microsoft FixIt tool in this link and see if you can completely remove all remnants of Java, Fix problems with programs that can't be installed or uninstalled.

After the Microsoft FixIt tool finishes, perform a clean boot in Windows to make sure that you have no other programs that are interfering with your system. Follow the instructions from here, How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista.

Then once you have performed a clean boot, download and install the latest version of Java from here, Java Downloads for All Operating Systems.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/08/10
    Maco88

I forgot to mention, I have run FixIt, and it did not find anything remnants of Java in both the "Install" and "Uninstall" section. btw...I selected the "Detect problems and let me select the fixes to apply" option, then tried both "Installing" and "Uninstalling" options as already mentioned.

I can't see any search facility in "Fix-It" to actually look for say Java in this case if it is not listed, however it says "If you do not see your program, select "Not Listed ", but I don't see the words "Not Listed" anywhere at all. I only have in the actual list, 2 entries that say "Name Not Available ". Is this Fix-It means by "Not Listed "??

I have been able to fix a variety off PC related issues over the past, via forums like WindowsBBS and google searches, but this one has me completely stumped.

5. 2013/08/10
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

There was a warning several months ago about Java being compromised.
    Arie suggested if you don't need it - disable or remove it.

The other suggestion was to enable an alternate web browser to visit sites that require Java. Neil.

6. 2013/08/10
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

What happens when you download and attempt to install Java from the Offline Installation source?

Arie,
  7. 2013/08/10
    Maco88

@ Neil, yeah, guess a workaround will have to do, as I don't really require it, but some websites like keedvid.com need to have it active.

@Arie, have tried both the online and offline, and same thing.. starts to install and it looks like it gets close to the end, then I what I assume instead of showing the "Installation was successful" message, I get the Failed Installation message. No error code, no further info that i can work off.

Also I found after each install attempt Java creates an install log, but they are empty.

That's about it.

8. 2013/08/12
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Try creating a new user account (in Windows) and see if you can install Java on that account.

If not, the only other option I can think of would be a fresh Windows install.

Arie,
  9. 2013/08/20
    Maco88

Thanks for the update Arie.

I will try the new account option. As for a new install of Windows, it is an option i guess, however at this point would not be worthwhile I think, since some workaround can be achieved.

Cheers

10. 2013/08/20
    tallin

tallin Well-Known Member

Maybe this may help you

Hi Maco88,

If you are still having the issues with Java, I see no one has given you How to uninstall Java on my Windows Computer worth a try to solve your problem. Of course if the link is successful, you can then reboot and install the latest version.

I have java installed on all my computers and have no issue with it. Most of the sites I frequent like banks, financial institutions and the like require it, however each and every site that needs Java has to have my permission before it is enabled.

Can you show your system specs under your username on the left so we can assist you more.

kind regards,

Last edited: 2013/08/20
  11. 2013/08/20
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Tallin, I think Evan covered that in his Post. From within the link he provided:http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/remove_olderversions.xml

Quote:[Then once you have performed a clean boot, download and install the latest version of Java from here, Java Downloads for All Operating Systems.]

You may have missed it. Neil.

12. 2013/08/20
    Maco88

Thanks

Have followed all those steps provided here and numerous articles found on google with the same error but it keeps failing right at the end on the install by the look of things. It's as if something is blocking it to complete the install.

Guess I'll keep digging

13. 2013/08/20
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

You can try running Check Disk on the hard drive and see if you can install Java after the process completes. Its worth a shot, How to Run Disk Check in Windows 7.

In the Check Disk options make sure the Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors checkboxes are both checked before you click on the Start button.

14. 2013/08/20
    Maco88

Will give it a shot however, I highly doubt it is hardware related. I run Crystal Disk info and HD Sentinnel [runs at startup], the drive comes up perfect.

I do run CHKDSK once every couple of months as a habit, but all seems in order so far.