1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Issues with MS Outlook trusted certificate

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by papernpaste, 2015/11/12.

1. 2015/11/12
    papernpaste Lifetime Subscription

papernpaste Old Man Thread Starter

After setting up my new desktop, I loaded MS Outlook Office Enterprise 2007. I've had it for several years and it worked fine on my last (and now dead) desktop.
    On my new desktop, Widows 10 "Mail" had my mail almost instantly and automatically but I didn't even want to use MS to access my email AND the Mail app doesn't have all of the sub-folders in my personal folders that exist in my Outlook 2007 and didn't have older/saved mail and I had not moved from my inbox, yet. So I hooked up my external HD and moved over a .pst file and now I have my folders in Outlook 2007 but server settings are not right. In fact, I had to re-configure the Outlook 2007 email account server settings because my ISP (comcast) suggested different ports should be used for imap/POP3 and smtp settings. When I go to change or repair the settings, the test mail won't complete and I get a little window appears stating: Internet security warining: the Internet service that I am connected to is using a security certificate that cannot be verified. The target principal name is incorrect. and: "Do You want to continue using this server?" Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

2. 2015/11/12

Continued diagnostics

I attempted to repair the connection in MS Outlook, resorting to using the "defaults" rather than changing the ports as the instructions in my ISP's client setup instructions (changing the ports) and I watched as the connection was established but, none of my emails with download.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/11/13
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

5. 2015/11/13

Continuing Errors w/ Outlook 2007

Thank you for your post.
    I simply don't understand what may be causing my continued problems. My ISP doesn't assist with client-based email issues other than providing web pages with instructions. Since they require an additional sign-on to access their instructions, I am pasting them here:

Open Outlook.
    Click the Tools menu, and select Account Settings…
    On the Email tab, select New…
    At the Choose E-mail Service screen, select Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP, or HTTP and click Next.
    Select the Manually configure server settings or additional server types check-box and click Next.
    Choose Internet E-Mail and click Next.
    Enter your User Information [your name and full email address (including @comcast.net)].
    In the Account Type drop-down menu, select IMAP. In the Incoming mail server field, enter imap.comcast.net and in the Outgoing mail server (SMTP) field, enter smtp.comcast.net.
    In the User Name field, type your username as seen on the left side of the @ symbol in your email address.
    For example, if your email address is username@comcast.net, type in username.
    In the Password field, enter your Comcast-assigned password.
    Check the Remember Password box if you don’t want to enter your password every time you access your email.
    The POP and IMAP Account Settings screen is displayed with User, Server and Logon Information fields populated with the appropriate information.

Click More Settings…
    Click the Outgoing Server tab.
    Click the check-box for My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication. Confirm that the radio button for Use same settings as my incoming mail server is selected. Click Next.
    The Internet E-mail Settings screen is displayed. The appropriate Outgoing Server options are selected at the top.

Click the Advanced tab.
    Enter 993 in the Incoming server (IMAP) field. Then select SSL from the drop-down box for Use the following type of encrypted connection.
    Enter 587 in the Outgoing server (SMTP) field. Then select TLS from the drop-down box for Use the following type of encrypted connection.
    Click OK.
    On the Advanced tab of the Internet E-mail Settings screen, the encryption connection selections are displayed at the top.

Click OK.
    Click Next.
    Click Finish.
    Click Close.

Congratulations! You're done configuring your Outlook 2007 client to send and receive Comcast email.

Since I'm running Windows 10, now, and it is new to me, I have that Mail app that is pulling info off of the MS live site but the folder arrangement from that is incomplete compared to my Outlook 2007 folder tree. I would really like to totally eliminate the Windows 10 Mail app AND Chromium open and showing on my desktop every time I boot up this new computer but, they are other issues that I haven't dealt with, yet.

Getting back to Outlook, I don't know if this could have caused an issue or not. After I first booted this new computer, I disliked the Windows 10 interface so I downloaded http://www.stardock.com/products/start10/?Referer=stardock so I could make more sense (to me) of the interface.
    Then I installed Office Enterprise 2007. And after that I tried to configure Outlook (within OEnt2007). When i couldn't get it configured properly, I Installed a MS Outlook 2007 DVD that i have, thinking that it might correct any possible corruption of the Enterprise Outlook 2007, when installed. That didn't seem to affect anything, one way or the other.
    Then I downloaded Thunderbird, this morning, and it setup smoothly and perfectly and showed all 227 inbox items going back months!
    I am contemplating uninstalling MS Outlook, rebooting, then re-installing it to see if that could solve this issue but, if you think that I should try something else, I'm open to your suggestions. Thank you for your reply.
    don

6. 2015/11/13

Okay. I followed the direction provided in the link that you posted. I WAS able to configure Outlook 2007 correctly. I received a message in an alert window immediately after completing the correct configuration indicating that my settings were updated to imap from pop3 and I clicked on the ok button.
    But, none of my message bodies will download
    All of the email headers show but the message bodies are blank. Do you know what I have to click or tweak in order for them to appear? Thank you.

7. 2015/11/13

I just ran office diagnostics. It went through its checklist and showed to issues. When it completed a web page opened in my browser with a 404 code stating it no longer existed (probably associated with Outlook 2007- that's a guess).
    But, after that, my inbox "exploded" with to a total of 544 messages (yeah! unreal!) AND, most importantly, the message bodies have appeared at the same time.
    Strangest thing I've ever seen. Perhaps Office Diagnostics fixed something that was corrupted but, I'm back up and running properly. WTH?