1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Is this a power supply problem....Or something else?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Hex92, 2002/01/11.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/01/11
    Hex92

Hex92 Inactive Thread Starter

The last few times I have turned on my computer I have experienced a strange problem. :eek: It will turn on for 5-30 seconds, during which time it will start booting up, then it will shut itself off and the power supply light will blink.

So I turn it off completely (hold power button in for 4 seconds), then try to reboot. It will usually do the same thing again, but on the 3rd or 4th try the computer will boot up and run without a problem till I shut it off again.:confused:

The fans are running and the temperature of the CPU is well within the normal range.

Is it time to buy a new Power supply or is there something else going on here?

Hex92

2. 2002/01/11
    DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Inactive

It does point to the power supply. But, I'd suggest creating a DOS boot disk for the box and seeing if it gives the same effect. This will help to pin down the culprit.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/01/11
    Rancher

Rancher Inactive

Has the puter been running good for some time prior to this? What OS ya running? What have you installed lately(hardware/software)? Can you get into safe mode every time you boot (press f8)? Are you over clocking your memory?

5. 2002/01/11
    Hex92

Hex92 Inactive Thread Starter

Well it looks like it was the power supply. I check yall's responses at work and came home to troubleshoot the problem. The machine almost made it into windows on the 3rd try and then died. I could get it to turn on again.

So here I am 35 minutes later. I've already made a trip to CompUSA shelled out $39.95 + tax (ouch! :eek: ) and slapped in the new power supply. Thats a little pricey for a 300 watt PS, but desperate times require desperate measures.

Now I'm off to frag some CTs. :D

Hex92

Last edited: 2002/01/11
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.