1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Is the RAM I bought bad?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by magenta, 2018/01/20.

1. 2018/01/20
    magenta

magenta Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Ordered some RAM off ebay that was advertised as being for the exact make/model of my laptop, an Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575-33BM.

Tried installing it and my laptop wouldn't boot up. The keyboard would light up but the monitor would never turn on.

Pulled the RAM and the laptop would boot up fine.

I've tried reseating the RAM several times but the laptop never boots up.

There's really only one way to install the RAM as well as there's a small gap in the gold teeth on the RAM stick and a matching plastic barrier on the motherboard, so I guess you can't install it upside down? https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/kUwAAOSwc49Y7QIJ/s-l500.jpg

Is the RAM bad?

2. 2018/01/20
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Last edited: 2018/01/20

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/01/20
    magenta

5. 2018/01/20
    retiredlearner

You sometimes run into problems with RAM compatibility especially if it is a different brand from what is installed by the manufacturer.
    Did you watch the video clip in regard to installing RAM?
    I would be seeking my money back from the Ebay seller.
    What is the brand of the original RAM installed bt Acer?

6. 2018/01/21
    magenta

I didn't watch the video, installation is pretty much a no brainer...Power down, unplug (though I wasn't plugged in for power), ground yourself, insert RAM at slight angle and press down until it snaps in place. It consistently did the same thing when I tried to power it up with the additional RAM - keyboard lights up, but it never hit the boot cycle to kick on the monitor. I'd pull the RAM and it would boot up fine, "Acer" would come right up on the monitor. Rinse and repeat and same thing.

I don't recall seeing a brand of the original RAM installed, though I suppose it might be on the underside? I honestly didn't inspect the original RAM that much, just casually looked at it to compare the size with the new stick.

The ebay auction states the following re: the brand:

Brand: Due to our suppliers continual, changing inventory, your memory brand will vary. And could be unmarked chips that are from Micron for example. This is the way to get cheaper quality parts. Please don't ask for a specific brand.

Is the best way to upgrade the RAM to just buy new sticks? Should I just buy a 8GB stick? I went with ebay because I had some ebay bucks I needed to spend so picked it up for just over $30 and figured it'd drop right in with no problems seeing it was advertised for my exact make/model.

7. 2018/01/21
    retiredlearner

Kingston Value RAM DDR4, 4 GB, SO-DIMM 260-Pin, 2133 MHz / PC4-17000, CL15, 1.2 V, unbuffered, Non-ECC: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I've seen the Hynix brand before but never used them.
    I, personally have used Kingston, Crucial, G Skill and Corsair without any problems but you should always get the specs from the original brand installed and get an EXACT unit so as to avoid the problem you have.
    I really do think you have a faulty stick of RAM.
    Have you tried taking out your original RAM and install the Hynix on it's own to see if it works?

8. 2018/01/21
    magenta

I was going to try that, but had already started an ebay return request. I'm assuming that would work and it's a compatibility issue like you mentioned. Or it wouldn't work at all, but in either case it wouldn't matter. The seller sent me a return mailing label a couple hours ago so it's going back for a refund. I'll probably just buy an 8GB stick from Crucial. I may pull the original to see if there is a brand on the underside or google any #s on the stickers on the top side just to see if I can find a 4GB stick.

9. 2018/01/22
    retiredlearner

Let's know how you get on ;)