1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Is jv16 PowerTools still reputable?

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by mailman, 2015/05/24.

1. 2015/05/24
    mailman Lifetime Subscription

mailman Geek Member Thread Starter

Hi, all. Long time since I've been around Windows BBS. Glad I remember my PW and I still have access. :)

Many years ago, PeteC introduced me to jv16 PowerTools and I found it to be a very robust package. (Thanks, Pete!)

In my obsessive "tinkering days" I used to use jv16 PowerTools for tinkering with my registry (and, yes, I'm fully aware that messing with the registry is dangerous).

Very recently, I received a couple emails apparently from "Mihai from Macecraft" (after several years of not hearing from Macecraft) informing me of new versions ready for download.

As I have done much less "tinkering" with Windows in recent years as I used to, I lost "touch" with the tinkering software I used to use.

In your opinions, is jv16 PowerTools still the reputable/robust package it used to be?

I searched Windows BBS for "jv16" and the most recent reference to it I found was a November 2014 post PeteC had made regarding a stubborn problem he was having with his computer.

The emails I received from "Mihai" led me to a changelog listing bug fixes (which is a little unnerving, in itself).

This sudden communication from Macecraft (if it is actually from Macecraft) is a different M.O. than I'm accustomed to. Has me wary of downloading and installing their product.

If I can get some reassurance from regulars here that you still use jv16 PowerTools from macecraft.com then I'm more comfortable about downloading it to my Windows 8.1 computer.

Thank you for your attention to my request! :)

2. 2015/05/24
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Last edited: 2015/05/24

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/05/25
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Windows Secrets Newsletter "¢ Issue 420 "¢ 2014-02-13 >
    More questions about jv16 PowerTools by Fred Langa

5. 2015/06/02
    mailman Lifetime Subscription

mailman Geek Member Thread Starter

Thank you, both very much for the very helpful info! Very interesting reading. It's clear, I haven't been paying attention the last several years.

Thanks again!

6. 2015/06/02
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

7. 2015/06/03
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Marking a thread as 'Resolved'

8. 2015/06/04
    psaulm119 Lifetime Subscription

psaulm119 Geek Member

The old Langa list. Takes me back.

Since that quote recommended CCleaner instead---on the basis of good default settings, to boot--I have to say that I have avoided CCleaner like the plague, since I realized that that program will start deleting things on your computer in programs even when you haven't told them to. After installing MS Office, I found CCleaner erased my MRU list inside MS Word, even though I never checked the box for CCleaner to do so. The folks in the CCleaner forum didn't seem to have a problem with that behavior at all. The file cleaner I have doesn't automatically check boxes for me--and that's the way I like it.

9. 2015/06/08
    Claw

Claw Inactive

Hey psaulm119, I've never had a problem with Ccleaner or Privazer, but jv16 PowerTools have given me a lot of business in the past with customers bring me their computers after jv16 removed or messed up software somehow. I tend not to recommend the jv16PT utility.

Claw,