1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Is C:\ProgramData\Temp a virus?

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by The WobMob, 2016/07/08.

1. 2016/07/08
    The WobMob

The WobMob Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I use Bitdefender for av and after I run a full scan, it shows a log indicating there are password protected archives that can't be scanned. On investigation, I found that some are setup files but many were in ProgramData\Spybot. I uninstalled Spybot a while ago so googled if it was okay to delete.
    I also noticed a temp folder in there as well. The results from Google didn't do me much good except one response to someone's post about the temp folder mentioned all their research showed the temp folder was placed by a virus. Now, my computer shows the folder was created 12/20/11, around the time I got the computer, and the two folders in it were modified 5/5/13. The folder names are {8C20787A-7402-4FA7-BF25-6E5750930FDC} and {DEC235ED-58A4-4517-A278-C41E8DAEAB3B}. Both are empty.
    I've had no problems with my PC, and at different times have run full scans with Bitdefender, Norton, McAfee, Spybot, Malwarebytes, Avira, maybe others since I got my computer.
    Is the temp folder indication of a virus? Are folders from deleted programs safe to remove?
    My computer is a Gateway DX4860 Win10 Home, 3.3GHz, 6GB ram

2. 2016/07/08
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

If you post in this forum, only following the instructions will get you a reply.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/07/08
    broni

broni Moderator Malware Analyst

Since your computer is nor experiencing any issues I deleted logs and I'm moving this topic to appropriate forum.
    BTW, I didn't see anything suspicious in your logs.

To answer your questions.
    Folders themselves can't be malicious ,since they can't be executed.
    "Temp" folder in Program Data is normal.
    Yes, it's safe to remove leftover folders from uninstalled programs.

AlexH likes this.