1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Internet Speed Problem

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by joe645, 2017/09/06.

1. 2017/09/06
    joe645

joe645 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

My main CPU is directly connected to my network and indicates a speedtest of 100mbs. I have a second CPU which is connected to the same network but not wired. The same speedtest results in a reading of 1mbs. The second CPU is approx. 25 feet from the my Router.

Last edited: 2017/09/06
  2. 2017/09/06
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/09/07
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Wifi is slower than Ethernet but it should not be that much slower. Even the antique legacy 802.11b protocol typically gives you at least 5Mbps. Tell us about this second computer, and what type wireless adapter is uses.

Clearly, the router itself and your Internet connection are good. So something is not right between the WAP and your 2nd computer. The WAP (wireless access point) is often integrated with a router and 4-port switch in a "wireless router" or "residential gateway" (with a modem). Do you have any other wireless devices you can check with? You say 25 feet between this computer and the router. Is that direct line-of-sight or are there barriers (wall/floors/ceilings) in between?

Note that other nearby electronic devices can cause interference that can hinder or even totally block wifi connectivity. These include TVs, microwave ovens, other nearby wifi networks and more.

Are you in a house, or a crowded apartment complex?

Side note, "CPU" is a component mounted on your motherboard inside your computer case. It is incorrect terminology to refer to the entire computer as "CPU". I suspect this is a long set habit, but to ensure understanding in technical conversations, it is best to use proper terminology. So I recommend using computer or PC or notebook (or laptop) when referring to actual computers to avoid misunderstanding.

Bill,